MOO3 any one?

kevdog

[H]ard|Gawd
yeah, I know its old, but i get a "directx surface not available" crash everytime i play. the moo3 website says to install the latest vidoe card drivers...well DOH :rolleyes: done that. any idea's?

try forcing your vertex and pixel shaders to 1.0. Also, try running the game in compatibility mode.

ok, now this is a debate. MOO was far superior to any of its successors because it did not require the micromanagement of each and every planet. I didn't even play MOO2 for more than 5 mins because everything just didn't feel right...and because I couldn't figure out how to build a damn ship. The difference between MOO and MOO2 was so freakishly stellar (pardon the pun) that the second completely lost focus over what the first one was, spacial exploration and conquest.

I still play MOO to this day, thanks to a lovely emulating program called DOSBOX, MOO2 sits on my shelf gathering dust, and MOO3 is nowhere to be found.

IMO:

MOO = awesome
MOO2 = also awesome, i still play it
MOO3 = biggest POS, tragic sequel let down, most frustrating thing ever

Steel Chicken said:
IMO:

MOO = awesome

Exactly how I feel.

That would be Galactic Civilizations and is what MOO3 should have been. Not to mention the game support is second to none.

hey guys,

Moo3 has been sort of... reborn, just so you know.

a team of modders, have been making there own code patches for Moo3 and have solved many of the most major problems with the game.

such as...

direct X surface unavailable
AI making land attacks on your planets (in meaningful ways) trying to outnumber you always.
hmmm

look for bruic's patch in www.moo3.com's forum, it fixes like 15 problems with the game

hes been laughing at the makers of the game because hes figured out most of there problems and he doesnt have the code to the game even :/

pretty sad, but Moo3 is fairly playable now.

diplomatic use in the game is pretty much fixed.

try out bhruics patch's, they atliest got me back into the game, hopefully ill get my moneys worth out of the damn game sooner or later...

That's good news. It's sounds much like what's been happening with Falcon 4.0 with the modders really taking over the game.

Ive played those patches, they do make the game *almost* playable.

That is, until you start getting into multi group fleet battles and your stupid ships refuse to follow orders and just fly around in circles getting shot to pieces. The whole drop troops on the planet thing is extremely difficult to follow and use, so it takes 5 billion years to actually conquer anything

alot of functionality of the game adds complexity without purpose, whats the point of planet eco-zones? just one more thing to keep track off that has little point to it

dont even get me started on ship design...at least in the earlier moo's you could tell how a design change on a ship had an effect...you could actually see what was going on in combat. in moo3, you design ships and wonder if they are working well or not, combat is so generalized you can't tell what changes have what effect. bascially, just auto design all of your ships once in a while. what fun is that?

The game is fundamentally flawed from the get-go, and although the patches help, you can't band-aid an arterial bleed.

Steel Chicken said:
IMO:

MOO = awesome

I AGREE

well, thanks for the replies. it pisses me off that the game *was* playable before CAT 4.9's. Hmmmmm....hey wait a minute :eek:

No amount of patching and tweaking could change that the concept of the game was NOT MOO. It was some other game with completely different policies having the Master of Orion name badged on it. Macromanagement on a grand scale? WTF.

Back