Monoprice 4x2 hdmi matrix troubles

ubers

n00b
hey guys, first time poster here. I recently got monoprices' 4x2 HDMI matrix:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

and im having some troubles with it. My computer will only allow me to set a resolution of 1920x1080 instead of my ultrasharp 2709w's native res of 1920x1200. I understand that when a display is hooked up to a source, the display sends its capabitities back to the source in a package called EDID. Im thinking the matrix intercepts the monitors EDID info and overwrites it somehow. I would also think that the matrix is electrically capable of switching 1920x1200 signals, but since its made for home A/V, that res isnt in the EDID info. is there anyway to force 1920x1200 through the matrix? or is there someway I can "flash" the matrix to accept my monitors native res? I have 3 computers and an xbox im switching through this thing, and it works with the xbox great. I just with I could PCs to display at full res.

thanks

Look down at the reviews for it at the page you linked. You may need a videocard driver like the guy below mentions an NVIDIA Edid driver hack:

"Rating: (10 out of 10) Reviewer: Anonymous from Houston, TX
1/10/2010 9:12:37 PM
Finally got this switch and at first I was having problems displaying my Windows 7 to both NEC EA231WMI monitors at 1920x1080 using both DVI ports from my 8800GTS. I only got one monitor to display at 1080p while the other one was running at 1680x1050. Fiddling with the cables and ports on both my card and the switch got it to display both monitors at 1080p, but once I ran Nvidia Control Panel, it switched one back to 1680x1050 so I knew then it was a Windows/Nvidia driver issue.

If you google for Nvidia driver EDID hack you should be able to find more information on how to get your card to display at your monitor's proper resolution (at the loss of HDCP, but I don't care about that). I'm now running at 1080p on both screens so it shouldn't be the switch at fault if you're not getting full resolution from your PC. Seems like this has been an ongoing issue for Nvidia cards going from DVI - HDMI...

It works even with 1080p from my computer and 720p from my PS3, so the switch is fine unless you got a defective one. "

Monoprice has excellent customer service so I'm sure you could return it if you can't get it to do what you want.

Also if you are feeling brave you could try modding your GPUs BIOS to ignore EDID

Also if you are feeling brave you could try modding your GPUs BIOS to ignore EDID

thanks nitro, i think youre onto the right track of what im trying to do. I also think there is a pin dedicated to edid on VGA/DVI/HDMI cables so removing that pin might also do the trick. Wouldnt that be the easiest, saftest route as Im trying to be as non-intrusive as possible? And when you mentioned modding the BIOS to ignore EDID, is that a semi-common thing to do? have you read of people doing that before?

thanks nitro, i think youre onto the right track of what im trying to do. I also think there is a pin dedicated to edid on VGA/DVI/HDMI cables so removing that pin might also do the trick. Wouldnt that be the easiest, saftest route as Im trying to be as non-intrusive as possible? And when you mentioned modding the BIOS to ignore EDID, is that a semi-common thing to do? have you read of people doing that before?

Im pretty sure that only works for VGA, but i could be mistaken.

Im pretty sure that only works for VGA, but i could be mistaken.

yeah i just found that out... My DVI/HDMI adapter wont work anymore haha

i was looking at that thread you posted last night. It does give some helpful info but its too nonspecific to my setup to be of help. do you know anything about modding a video cards bios to ignore edid?

Back