Monitoring servers

digilink

Gawd
I have a friend who adminsters about 5-7 servers running linux throughout the U.S. We would like to set up a server management program to where he can see in real time or close to real time the status and health of each server. We want to also be able to monitor certain processes and the status of various AX.25 interfaces.

We would like to have a web based application to where we can see all of the servers on one page and possibly have some kind of alerting process if a particular service or server dies.

The first thing that comes to my mind to do this would be SNMP, but as I know nothing about it(I'm willing to learn!) will be the hardest.

Our objectives are:

Must be open source and run on linux
Need web based management
The ability to define custom process monitoring
An outage alerting system
Easy to install/maintain

I know many of you here probably deal with things like this everyday so suggestions appreciated :)

We still use an older version of this which pages us whenever we have a server or router go offline. Whatsup It should do what you need it to, but it has a 30 day free trial so you can test it out. It's a little pricey though and you didn't post a price range.

We switched over to MOM now as we're a windows environment.

Yep on the above post, VMWare also has 'virtual appliances' that are already built, just download and setup at the remote site.

Yea, cacti and nagios are great. Put those together with logwatch and you can keep an ok eye on things.

zabbix is another choice, and is pretty close to realtime monitoring.

MorfiusX said:
Cacti or Nagios are both free and open source.
I'm definitely going to check these out. I admin 5 servers at three locations. Do they monitor the status of routers as well? I'd like to know if they are online as well, with one quick check.

djnes said:
Do they monitor the status of routers as well? I'd like to know if they are online as well, with one quick check.
I believe they can threw SNMP and various other methods (ping, telnet, ssh).

Nagios is much, much better than bigbrother. Actually I think bigbrother is dead now, they're developing it under a different name. Either way, go with nagios for monitoring and cacti for reporting.

Back