Monitor: 27+" 4K VA or IPS with 120Hz Refresh Rate

Don't think so. Not a proper PC monitor, anyway. There are some 21:9 3440x1440 100Hz models (the Acer Predator X34 and a couple others I think) but not full 4K.

Maybe some TV? But so far as I know, of the ones that support PC input well, most of the 120Hz models only handle 60Hz input at 4K, and you have to drop down to 1080P to get 120Hz working.

What's the use case? If it's gaming, there aren't fast enough GPUs to maintain 120 FPS in games like GTA V and The Witcher 3 right now, barring something really exotic like 3 or 4-way SLI with Titan Xs or the GTX 1080 that's around the corner, so you'd either be turning down settings or running below native resolution anyway.

What about a monitor with same specs but 60Hz Refresh Rate?

Only thing close this year will be the Dell OLED display.

Don't know offhand since they run like $4000+, but maybe you could get a 120Hz 4K signal in to one of LG's OLED 4K TVs?

Here ya go.

LG - 27" IPS LED 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor $500

They can be had for around $400 used on ebay if you're willing to take that risk.

What GPU are you using? Do you intend to game on it? 4K is a /lot/ harder to drive than 1440P.

Thanks for the suggestion. That fits the bill perfectly, but was wondering are there any other monitors that have the same specs but better pricing or maybe an inch bigger?

No gaming but I do a lot of photo/video editing, watch movies as well. I need a monitor that is good on the eyes (less eye strain) and the text is crisp and sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 27" 1440P should be pretty darn sharp, but hey, whatever.

For desktop work you wouldn't see any difference between 60Hz and 120Hz anyway.

Don't know offhand -- haven't done any research recently -- but this Dell Dell - 27" IPS LED 4K UHD Monitor - Black may be better calibrated. If you have your own calibrator it really shouldn't matter between the two.

There are 32" 4K IPS out there, but they run like $800-1000. You can get a 42" 4K TV and use it as a monitor, but those run $650+ and depending on the model may have any number of issues, from blurry motion to poor color support. I tried to go that route and gave up.

I'm looking at that Dell right now and the reviews I have seen do complement it on its calibration and color over the Samsung 590D.

Also, its $500 at Amazon right now instead of $540 at BB

The Samsung 590D is a complete piece of trash. I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone -- it's a TN panel for $500, which makes no sense, and it's not even a good TN. I got one from a local store a year or so ago... and returned it the next day.

120 Hz 4K monitors should be coming out soon now that Nvidia's GTX 10 series cards support Displayport 1.4.

Back