Modem/router recommendation?

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
hey all, i know there is the sticky thread for routers, but i was wondering about modem/router combo units. my parents are switching to comcast soon and want to avoid the rental fee ($8/mo) for the modem/router. i looked at the comcast site and saw on their supported list that they have the Motorola SBG6580, and Netgear N300/N450/N600 listed as retail-available combo units, but was wondering your input on them. I would rather get them a single unit for ease of use, but have also heard that they are not as reliable as separate modem and router. what are your thoughts? also would like to spend as little as possible since they will only be getting 25mbps internet anyway and dont need super high-end stuff. i just dont know anything about networking hardware so i was hoping someone could help me out. thanks!

Avoid the combos if you can. If you still insist on one, get the Arris DG860 or if VoIP is necessary then the Arris TG862.

Netgear also has some new combo modems out, but i haven't tried them yet. They may be good.

ok well if you guys really recommend against the combo units then i can get separate modem and router. just checked the mid-range routers in the recommendation thread and even those ones are ~$100! i'd like to get something a generation or two old or at least used to keep the price down. they are not power users and they're going to get the lowest speed available (25mbps) so they dont need all the bells and whistles or super fast speeds. i would like to get hardware that is generally accepted as being stable and reliable, and preferably available used. i'd like to keep both units together under $100, think that's realistic?

if they are going comcast just buy a used sb5101, they are cheap probably get one like $5 or $10, maxes out at 36mb so should be fine, just make sure you aren't buying a comcast used modem because some people sell the modems that they were renting and when you go to activate it comcast will still charge you the monthly rental fee because it is still their property.

if they are going comcast just buy a used sb5101, they are cheap probably get one like $5 or $10, maxes out at 36mb so should be fine, just make sure you aren't buying a comcast used modem because some people sell the modems that they were renting and when you go to activate it comcast will still charge you the monthly rental fee because it is still their property.

I have to disagree with this recommendation. the SB5101 is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and while it may be able to handle their provisioned traffic, it's an end-of-life modem. Try to find a good price on a Moto SB6121, SB6141 or an Arris CM820

I have to disagree with this recommendation. the SB5101 is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and while it may be able to handle their provisioned traffic, it's an end-of-life modem. Try to find a good price on a Moto SB6121, SB6141 or an Arris CM820

The more he spends on the modem the less he can spend on the router, he wants to keep it under $100, if spends $50-70 on one of those modems that's less for a router. The better modem isn't going to do anything for them since they are just going to get 25mb internet. I'd rather have more funds for a decent router than some pos. And honestly I checked ebay, there are tons for $8 shipped. Spend the $8 now and if they ever need a faster modem they are only out 8 bucks, or realistically the newer modems will have dropped in price and they break even.

Last edited:
are there any other important features they would get with a docsis 3.0 modem over a 2.0, or is it pretty much just faster speeds? they really dont need the speed, they wanted to get the 6mbps connection (right now they have ~1mbps and dont mind) but the 6 was $20 more than the 25. so yeah, they wont be upgrading to faster speeds anytime soon.

so what would be a good router then? everything in the recommend thread is pretty old, probably about the generation of hardware that i am looking for. i assume things have changed some since then, so if there anything newer and better but in the same $30-60 range? i would prefer to at least have wireless-N, one gigabit port, and a stand-up router would be great to save desk space. other than that i am not too picky, just want something reliable. used or refurb is fine too.

are there any other important features they would get with a docsis 3.0 modem over a 2.0, or is it pretty much just faster speeds? they really dont need the speed, they wanted to get the 6mbps connection (right now they have ~1mbps and dont mind) but the 6 was $20 more than the 25. so yeah, they wont be upgrading to faster speeds anytime soon.

The docsis 3.0 modems support channel bonding. So if they have a crappy line it will help keep the modem from dropping the connection, other than that and faster speeds there really isn't any other benefits. If they have a decent/ok cable line then you don't really need to worry about the older modem dropping connections.

so would this Netgear N300 be an ok choice then? it's on the (dated) recommended list, and is pretty cheap and stands upright.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That N300 is horrible and outdated; it can't handle too many connections and is outdated. Instead, I would get an ASUS router. I would also get a later DOCSIS 3.0 modem because it may sync better with your ISP (speculation here). That and the channel bonding.

However, the DOCSIS 3.0 modems require stricter and a narrower threshold for power signals -- had to get a Comcast tech out a two times to rewire our drop.

i think i'm set on a docsis 2.0 modem unless there will be compatibility issues in the next year or two. they really dont need the speed and for $10 for the modem i would rather go with that and replace it when i have to. what router would you recommend then, intogamer? i am looking for <$50, and prefer a vertically standing router. they have one laptop using the wifi most of the time, another desktop plugged in. both are about 5 years old. occasionally they may connect on their iphone, but my dad doesnt even know how to use it and my mom much prefers the laptop so really the wifi is hardly ever in use by more than one (slow, core2solo) device.

is this a decent router? newegg has it for $20+fs right now, $10 after rebate (which my parents probably wont bother with).

Back