mobo ports don't align with holes on I/O shield (Antec 902)

Citizen Snips

Limp Gawd
After installing an EVGA X58 SLI into an Antec 902 case, I noticed that the most of the cutouts in the I/O shield don't line up very well with the ports themselves. Some misalignments are worse than others, but the PS/2 port is off by so much that actually plugging a keyboard into it is difficult.

As a result, I have to bend the PS/2 port slightly when I'm plugging in a keyboard to make sure the plug goes all the way in the port. If I don't do this, the plug won't go in the port all the way because the I/O shield is blocking it.

Has anyone else had this issue before? As far as I can tell, the board is screwed down as far as it will go into the brass standoffs. Could it be possible that the case just wasn't designed very well?

Here is a pic:

Pictures.jpg

I've never seen that happen before.

But I think the real question is: why are you still using a PS/2 keyboard? :D

I've never seen that happen before.

But I think the real question is: why are you still using a PS/2 keyboard? :D

I like mechanical keyboards and many of them are older models that come in PS/2 only - i.e. the IBM model M. I suppose a simple solution would be to just buy a PS/2 -> USB adapter, but I'd really like to know why a supposedly "standard" ATX mobo doesn't line up with the I/O shield in a "standard" ATX case.

I would have to say your standoffs are too tall. Did you use the ones that came with the case?

I would have to say your standoffs are too tall. Did you use the ones that came with the case?

Yeah, although the case didn't come with enough to mount my mobo properly, so Antec sent me a ton of new ones. I noticed that some were barely longer than others, but I don't think the difference was enough to account for the disparity shown in the picture. I thought I made sure to check that all of the ones I ended up using were the same length before I screwed them in.

Do they make brass standoffs of various lengths? Should I ask Antec for even shorter ones?

Either that or he didn't screw the mobo on all the way. The bending seems to be concentrated at the top of the motherboard, which suggests that his CPU cooler could be the culprit. Still, it seems like a rather trivial issue.

Either that or he didn't screw the mobo on all the way. The bending seems to be concentrated at the top of the motherboard, which suggests that his CPU cooler could be the culprit. Still, it seems like a rather trivial issue.

Wait, you're saying my CPU cooler (a Prolimatech Megahalems, btw) can cause the mobo to bend upward? I always figured it would pull the board downward, but I hadn't thought of this possibility before. It is a pretty large cooler I suppose.

Wait, you're saying my CPU cooler (a Prolimatech Megahalems, btw) can cause the mobo to bend upward? I always figured it would pull the board downward, but I hadn't thought of this possibility before. It is a pretty large cooler I suppose.

It's pulling it away from the motherboard tray, which is exactly what your picture depicts.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, my I/O shield plate does the exact same thing on my Antec 900 -- I can't access the PS/2 ports.

is your video card too far away from the screw rail as well?

I have a lian li that is the same. It's as offset as it can go. It probably varies from case to case.

The alternative is to install just enough screws to your standoffs that your board is secure but not so many that you can't twist it a little to get your stuff in place. You might be surprised; in an ATX case 3 screws at any two points of a motherboard are usually enough to keep it in place but flexible.

make sure theres nothing under the motherboard lol...

the back of some CPU coolers can also sometimes contact cases and force the motherboard to twist upwards.

when you stick the motherboard in the computer all the risers should sit on the motherboard holes perfectly. then you should be able to screw the screws in slowly till they are all the way in. the screws should never PULL the motherboard down onto the risers.

Back