Mobo Modding?

Jellyfishpudding

Limp Gawd
Quick question. Do people go so far as to replace the RAM and PCIe slots with different colored ones? Can you even buy replacement slots? If not, are they easy to remove and replace? I'm looking to create a specific theme for my next build and the existing mobo colors all clash big time. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
FiSH

in all my years of PC building closest thing I have seen to this is someone who painted a lot of things on his mobo with UV paint so it would glow under black light.

never heard or seen someone replace RAM or PCI or any slots.

Just dye the slots. Desoldering and replacing ram slots would be the most difficult followed by the PCI slots. I'd say if you like your mobo, don't try it.

Yeah it would require a wizard to mod a motherboard. I've seen people paint their boards, not sure if I'd recommend it thermally speaking. It's still way safer than dismantling it.

Understood. I'm not quite waist deep in the mod scene yet so I didn't know. I guess choosing a board that's muted in color yet still good would be the way to go.

Some good reviews for the AsRock Extreme4-M m-atx board.

Z77%20Extreme4-M(m).jpg

Many of the graphics on motherboards are easily removed. I'd get one like what you pictured and remove the yellow bits. I know how you fell about bright motherboards - I bought my EVGA X58 SLI-LE partly because it was almost exclusvely black & gray, no red slots like their others:

evga_x58_sli_le.jpg

These days I like the Asrock models similar to what you pictured and the Asus Sabertooth.

^ Yeah, the Sabertooth color scheme, or lack thereof, is nice. Good quality too. I just wish they'd add a m-atx board to the series.

Yeah, you might just consider getting one of the Sabretooth boards... It's a great compromise for what you're trying to do.

If you get a sealed liquid cooler like a Corsair H80 or H100 the end result looks a lot like military hardware, very sexy with a window.

Back