Mobo is failing and I want to keep my 2500k, but no socket 1155 boards readily available?

RileyLewis

Weaksauce
My current motherboard has been giving me a few troubles lately (a ram stick cracked in half inside the case!) and now only the first 2 ram slots work (which means no dual-channel use). Additionally, my computer is now locking up, especially while gaming. I don't know how this would be related to the ram issues, unless the first 2 slots are also messed up somehow. My gpu and cpu appear to be fine.

In any case, I am suspecting I may have to replace the mobo. My issue is that I have a 2500k that I love, and it is still more than good enough for what I need (mostly gaming). My current system is:

2500k (OC'd 4.0Ghz)
Nvidia 780ti 3GB
Asrock z68 Extreme7 gen 3
16GB DDR 1600 ram
+ SSD and 2 HDDs.

I haven't been budgeting for any major upgrades (and my next one was a new GPU this christmas). A new mobo isn't a huge investment, but as it turns out there are no full-sized boards readily available for socket 1155!

Do I have any option other than to replace my mobo and therefore my 2500k? That means I'm going to have to spend $500+ (Canada) to even get back to the same performance I have now.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes please go into detail about how a stick of RAM snaps in half :D

Anyway you could just go use the FS FT forum here. I sold a 2500K + motherboard + RAM for $125 shipped so there are some deals to be had in there.

Yes please go into detail about how a stick of RAM snaps in half :D

Anyway you could just go use the FS FT forum here. I sold a 2500K + motherboard + RAM for $125 shipped so there are some deals to be had in there.

One day my PC wouldn't post, and was giving strange boot codes. Eventually I looked at the ram...and it had split down the middle, from end to end. It looked like the glue had come apart, and the whole thing had split in half. I have no idea what caused it. I moved places about a month before so maybe some physical damage was done then, but it just happened one day while using it. Very, very strange! I bought 2 new sticks of ram, and that's when I discovered that slots 3 and 4 didn't work.

I actually just bought a used z68 from Ebay...cost $175 with shipping :\

But at least it saved me $300+ for a new CPU.

You spent $175 on an old Z68? :eek: Might have been better off to get a non-K Skylake and a cheap motherboard for not much more than that. Or buy a used Broadwell K + motherboard, then just sold your 2500K for $100 to offset the cost :eek:

You spent $175 on an old Z68? :eek: Might have been better off to get a non-K Skylake and a cheap motherboard for not much more than that. Or buy a used Broadwell K + motherboard, then just sold your 2500K for $100 to offset the cost :eek:

Because I'm in Canada, everything is quite a bit more expensive. The board was $110 American with free shipping in the US, but I had to pay $150 Canadian + $25 shipping to Canada plus some taxes. If I had wanted to get a skylake processor, I would have needed to spend $300-$400 on the CPU plus $200 on the mobo. Just the way things are with the oil crash and our devalued dollar.

Ebay is where I'd go. I've gotten some good deals on refurbed Z77 motherboards for pretty cheap there.

Get the best used board you can. Something that was out of your price range when you purchased yours.

I actually got an entirely new P8-Z68-V PRO off eBay 18 months ago, just old replacement stock, board only. They are still around.

There are single 16x slot Intel Z77 boards on Ebay for $55 shipped. Dual 16x slot (if you need it for SLI/CFX) for $67-95 depending on included accessories.

Spending $175 (even in CAD) on a Z68...

$175 is a bit high - I picked up a used P8Z77-WS for $80 CDN (I live in Toronto).

Supermicro still makes skt 1155 server / workstation boards if you want new.

Plenty of mobos on ebay however z68 or z77 or p67 are expensive!

Plenty of mobos on ebay however z68 or z77 or p67 are expensive!

I sold a 2500K + motherboard + 8GB of DDR3 for $125 shipped last year, I thought that price was fair. And that price actually took a few days to find a buyer! No idea why some people are paying so much for five year old gear.

Last edited:
Just because people like Riley want to conserve existing setup because of various reasons, mostly financial and sentimental : Skylake is 40% more efficient than SB at 3.0GHz so technically he would not even need a k sku anymore! Would have been a lot simpler to move to a Skylake with ddr3 setup and sell the 2500k to offset some cost.

Just because people like Riley want to conserve existing setup because of various reasons, mostly financial and sentimental : Skylake is 40% more efficient than SB at 3.0GHz so technically he would not even need a k sku anymore! Would have been a lot simpler to move to a Skylake with ddr3 setup and sell the 2500k to offset some cost.

Nowhere near a 40% boost in IPC going to Skylake vs. SB. No idea where you're getting those numbers. Maybe in completely ideal, never-going-to-f*ing-happen circumstances, but even then I have doubts.

The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Tested

Looking at this comparison article at Anand (just the first one I found with a quick search) it looks more like 20%, if that. Yes, there are a couple things -- the Dolphin emulator, for one -- that do much better, but they're exceptions not the rule.

I have an old Intel DP67BG I was thinking about selling. You can PM me if interested. I don't want a fortune for it. I'm not really using it.
There are some positives and negatives with the board though so you have to weigh these out. On the plus side it works in general and can overclock fairly well from what I remember. It probably won't set any records, but I had a 2500k at 4.3 for a while in it. I didn't even try to push more. I also had win 7 on a small SSD (90gb) and upgraded to 10 before the deadline. That can go with it. The negatives are that I don't have the I/O plate, box, or any accessories. Also onboard sound doesn't work, but I have a cheap sound card to go with it. And one more negative, it's so old that UEFI doesn't really work right. When enabled I couldn't figure out how to get the OS to install so it's disabled. The OS on the SSD works, so that's no issue, but this lack of UEFI causes fits with video cards. I know that newer AMD cards are usually UEFI only and some I tried didn't work on this board. I had more luck with Nvidia cards, but it's hard to say what might work and what might not. I can't remember all of what I tested and ran on this. I think I ran a Kepler of some sort and a 750TI but not 100% sure. The 780ti may be fine. I could maybe check with something if there is interest. I don't have a socket protector either, but I have a Pentium G620 in it now and that can go along with it too. The G620 was what I had in it for the windows 7 install and then upgrade to 10. I'm not sure if 10 freaks out when changing a cpu and other hardware or not.

Try the Buy/Sale forum on this forum, I recently purchased Intel 2500K with MSI P67A-G43, 8GB Corsair Ram, Cooler Master Heatsink with 1 fan and mount - $175I, more than the $125 above but I am already at OC of 4800 and looking for more

Back