Mobile Duron Question

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering, my dad has a Presario 710CA and I'm about to get it.... the problem is it's a 1ghz Mobile Duron, i was wondering whether I can put a desktop Duron 1.4ghz in there? Btw one more thing. SD-Ram So-Dimm's are 144-pin and DDR-Ram So-Dimm's are 200-pin's right?

Thx

Since I just finished reassembling my laptop. I am going to say no on the desktop version. Mine is a 1600XP but the sokcet is alot smaller then the normal socket a. You would probably be able to put a mobile athlon in there though.

Hmm..... seriously? damn.... any idea where i can find tech documents on pin out and heat output? At any rate, any idea where I can buy a mobile Athlon XP? Duron 1ghz just isn't powerful enough :|

Moblies from AMD use the same socket as desktop CPU's, unless there is something freaky about mobile durons that I'm not aware of. You can get mobile XP's at newegg.com or find other vendors that sell them on pricewatch.com.

Originally posted by Arkaine23
Moblies from AMD use the same socket as desktop CPU's, unless there is something freaky about mobile durons that I'm not aware of. You can get mobile XP's at newegg.com or find other vendors that sell them on pricewatch.com.

Mine sure doesn't it is quite smaller physically. I will take pics is a little bit.

Hmm... interesting.... I think it's time I took one of my 1700+'s and slap it into that lappy :D hehe.... btw Any ideas whether the board can handle the voltage/multiplier/bus? And was it hard to take the Lappy apart? All Phillips screws? or some hex or funky screws?

Originally posted by DaLurker
Hmm... interesting.... I think it's time I took one of my 1700+'s and slap it into that lappy :D hehe.... btw Any ideas whether the board can handle the voltage/multiplier/bus? And was it hard to take the Lappy apart? All Phillips screws? or some hex or funky screws?

My laptop came apart with only phillips screws but they are not all the same. My mobile athlon is about half the size of a normal one. There is no center section on the back the pins occupy the half back of the packaging.

I will take pics when I get home.

ASTROdog: Are you sure yours is a mobile chip not just a desktop chip in a laptop?

Quite definitely a mobile. btw for the person who wants to slap a desktop chip in, you don't want to do this, i don't think the lappy will handle the heat. + it's an utter PITA to get it apart and back together, hundreds of small peices and screws that have to go back together just so. i wouldn't bother unless you have a stealar photographic memory. close up pic of the cpu label to come shortly.

aaf.jpg

Back