mmmmmm.... DDR2!

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
i've waited way too long for this:

AM2.jpg

lmk what you guys want to see, i'm about to put everything together. keep in mind that for now, i've only got 1 stick of 256mb ddr2.. this one:

ddr2.jpg

and a sempron

cpu.jpg

tsuehpsyde said:
Why does the socket say Foxconn when the board is an MSI board? :confused:

Foxconn makes the socket shell for alot of motherboard companies including MSI.

this msi is a sexy board

chipset.jpg

just one potential issue. ram slots are close to the pci-e 16x slot

clearance.jpg

Welcome to the DDR2 club. My rams slots are close to my PCI Express slot also. It should be fine. But is that capicator going to cause a problem?

it's inbetween the slots, so it works out.

i'm having trouble getting my keyboard working though. :confused:

(cf)Eclipse said:
it's inbetween the slots, so it works out.

i'm having trouble getting my keyboard working though. :confused:

Is it a PS2 or USB keyboard?

just though i'd point this out... as i just told ccu...

chipset = HOT
micron chips = FRIGID :confused: (for those who don't know, micron's ddr1 chips have a rep for being VERY hot running...)

L1ght said:
So, you gonna overclock it? :D
working on it. kinda frustrated by the lack of working programs like a64tweaker and clockgen though. BIOS overclocking FTW!

so far, i've gotten the crucial value that's rated for 333mhz at 5-5-5 up to 360mhz at 4-4-4... stock voltage. got a ways to go till i'm happy with that. cpu is up first though ;)

kirbyrj said:
have fun :).
i am indeed. who wants to guess what this cpu can do? last time i asked that i got some interesting results :eek:

an oddity. stock voltage for the 3400+ seems to be 1.35v

(cf)Eclipse said:
i am indeed. who wants to guess what this cpu can do? last time i asked that i got some interesting results :eek:

an oddity. stock voltage for the 3400+ seems to be 1.35v

I'd guess somewhere in the 2.7 range with stock voltage? What kind of cooling?

Where on earth did you get an AM2 Sempron? For that matter, how did you get your hands on an AM2 Motherboard? :eek:

newegg? ;)

kirbyrj said:
I'd guess somewhere in the 2.7 range with stock voltage? What kind of cooling?
stock! :cool:

gotta mod my waterblock so that it fits later..

Figures that the egg would start selling AM2 gear ONE WEEK after buying a new s745 motherboard with PCIe...would have added between $100 and $200 to the price tag though :p

2.8-3.0

Hey Eclipse now that DDR2 is going to become more the norm for AMD shall there be a new or updated OC guide?

Unknown-One said:
Figures that the egg would start selling AM2 gear ONE WEEK after buying a new s745 motherboard with PCIe...would have added between $100 and $200 to the price tag though :p
it's been there since the 24th. monarch has had stuff since the 23rd ;)

dtess, i will definitly re-write it, but it seems that the basic concepts still apply... just now the memory ratios are ddr2-400 (1:1), ddr2-533 (4:3), ddr2-667 (5:3) and ddr2-800 (2:1)
and the timings are a bit different :p

priming at 2.42ghz, 1.35v.. seems good. gonna reboot.

working on it. i'm having way too much fun with this ram... i hate being cpu limited for once :( :p

read: the crucial value is doing ddr2-1116 at 5-5-3 in memtest as we speak. no idea what tras is.. :p

Congrats on your early adoption :D Meh...I guess since I switched from Intel to a AMD 939 setup not long ago ddr2 and 3+ gigahertz gives me a kind of "been there, done that" feeling even though I know the AM2's will perform better than the past Intel stuff.

yeah, i'm just excited for the memory controllers..

too bad i have to switch to 2T at around 440mhz :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
working on it. i'm having way too much fun with this ram... i hate being cpu limited for once :( :p

read: the crucial value is doing ddr2-1116 at 5-3-5 in memtest as we speak. no idea what tras is.. :p

Lies! :D

Back