MLID shouts out [H]ardocp - AMD’s fake MSRP

The 6500 XT is a shit card at any price.

Maybe one day things will return to normal.

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself I saw AMD being competitive against Intel is a net good for consumers. Look at the 12400, selling for $170 and beating the 5600X which even with the MC sale is still $230. Really hoping the newer Intel chips force AMD to reevaluate Zen 4s price point.
Which is ironic, because we spent years hoping AMD's pricing on the first couple of generations of Zen would force Intel to evaluate *their* price points.

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself I saw AMD being competitive against Intel is a net good for consumers. Look at the 12400, selling for $170 and beating the 5600X which even with the MC sale is still $230. Really hoping the newer Intel chips force AMD to reevaluate Zen 4s price point.

We will likely never get back to pre-pandemic normal in terms of prices. They will probably trend down a bit over the next couple years as TSMC gets new plants online and new lines running, but we’re always going to see increased prices from where they used to be.

We will likely never get back to pre-pandemic normal in terms of prices. They will probably trend down a bit over the next couple years as TSMC gets new plants online and new lines running, but we’re always going to see increased prices from where they used to be.
Wasn't that what people were thinking back when the 2080ti was $1200, then the much more powerful 3080 release for $699?

Wasn't that what people were thinking back when the 2080ti was $1200, then the much more powerful 3080 release for $699?
3080 wasn’t the top tier TI card was it? Almost every generation you get more powerful gpu’s for less money compared to the generation prior. Why else would people upgrade?

Now let’s compare apples to apples. 3080ti came out swinging at a higher msrp than the 2080ti.

Giant if, but if Intel card are competitive, I can imagine seeing them if we decide to call pre-pandemic normal the very high pricing of 2017 or the very high Turing release price at least.

If you want a card strong enough to be significantly stronger than what the PS5-Xbox currently have in 2024 to play AAA but nothing special and if Intel reach that level (if we assume the rumours and talks true) can see that happen.

In case you want to jump to the point MLID mentiones Kyle's, "Status Quo is No Mo" article.

Which is ironic, because we spent years hoping AMD's pricing on the first couple of generations of Zen would force Intel to evaluate *their* price points.
Which it did, as mentioned in my post.
Look at the 12400, selling for $170 and beating the 5600X which even with the MC sale is still $230.
That's the point of competition to keep each another in check when it come to pricing. I have a feeling the price drop on the 5600X has something to do with Intel having a competitive product at a lower price.

Now this can go out the window if they decide to engage in price fixing, hopefully this doesn't occur.

Oh I'm aware, I was more referring to companies not releasing shit products and accessible inventory.

3080 wasn’t the top tier TI card was it? Almost every generation you get more powerful gpu’s for less money compared to the generation prior. Why else would people upgrade?

Now let’s compare apples to apples. 3080ti came out swinging at a higher msrp than the 2080ti.
Nope, the 3080ti FE is also $1200 like the 2080ti FE was, AIBs charge much more, but that as the case also with the 2080ti.

If the jump happened it happened when the 1080ti at ~599 jumped to the 2080ti at $1200.

Last edited:

Oh I totally agree with that. I wasn't so much talking about that. But totally agree. Happy to see the competition back. Maybe Zen 4 pricing won't be as bad as Zen 3's was.

Oh I totally agree with that. I wasn't so much talking about that. But totally agree. Happy to see the competition back. Maybe Zen 4 pricing won't be as bad as Zen 3's was.
One can hope. I was very tempted to go with intel for my office rig refresh, but the mitx options at micro center were roughly twice the price of the AMD mitx board.

One can hope. I was very tempted to go with intel for my office rig refresh, but the mitx options at micro center were roughly twice the price of the AMD mitx board.
Yeah gotta wait a bit for the mid-tier chipsets for the new stuff to come out.

In case you want to jump to the point MLID mentiones Kyle's, "Status Quo is No Mo" article.

For Nvidia it makes sense to remove MSRP but not so much for AMD. There are many occasions that AMD's GPU's have fallen so much in price that AMD was forced to release rebranded version with a slight clock speed increase in order to maintain a price and this does usually work. I remember the R9 290's were falling so fast in value that they were at some point $200, when they were relevant. Then they release the R9 390 and the price of even the 290's went back up. I saw the same thing happen with the RX 6700's as they all became the same price which was lower than the MSRP. This is why the RX 6600 XT was such a awful GPU because it was only $20 cheaper than what you could get a 6700.

Right now having no MSRP works because the market is broken but it won't stay broken. Nvidia always has demand so having no MSRP means the prices can and will go to the moon, but not so much for AMD.

Back