MLID: Nvidia has already produced a years worth of gaming GPUs

Nvidia and AMD would normally be finishing their consumer production runs about now.
Q1 just started or is about to start for the Enterprise markets and that’s when they place their big orders. OEM’s would be wanting their parts on their way to the warehouses for the back to school and impending Christmas orders. Then we hit the consumer glut that lasts from Jan to April.

With 2020 through 2022 being the notable exception during a healthy market AMD and Nvidia have always front loaded the consumer market then shifted production to other SKUs’.

TSMC can’t just change up the chips they are making on the fly, and their production schedules are planned out often a full year in advance.

When people were wondering why all the mass deliveries of 4060s or 4070s despite how unpopular they were it’s because that’s it, that’s all of them.

And Nvidia hasn’t been too shy about letting investors know they are reserving a good deal of the proceeds from the sales of the 4000 series silicon, they know it’s over priced and they’ve set up their slush fund to pay the AIB’s for rebates.

Nvidia is fully aware the market conditions will not bear the price of their cards but AMD has not challenged them and as such there is no reason to shift the price, because being prepared to issue refunds and doing it are two different things and the longer they don’t have too the more they get to keep.

So you are implying 4090 is good value? my wallet begs to differ.
I`d agree its the only GPU that makes some sense , but that just NVidia upselling us by making the others so poorly valued

I'd agree that it is too expensive. Above $1000 GPU's are a ridiculous concept.

That said, at least the 4090 offers something that you couldn't already have in the last generation for less money.

As ridiculous as 4090 pricing is, halo products are always going to demand halo prices.

That said, at least the 4090 offers something that you couldn't already have in the last generation for less money.

As ridiculous as 4090 pricing is, halo products are always going to demand halo prices.

I'd agree - $1k GPUs are dumb to me in my subjective opinion - and halo products are gonna always bring in the whales and are also a legit marketing tactic

But also we need to keep in mind - there is always inflation guys - the price of everything is always going up, always, no matter what. So, we could be pissed about how much something has gone up in price either due to 'inflation' or 'price gouging' or 'both' or 'something else' - but nothing is ever going to 'remain the same price, constantly and forever' - including GPUs - from the lowest model to the halo - and I agree that sucks but that's also just the way it is you're not gonna change it

Many used to buy multiple $500 to $700 gpus for sli. No difference in cost.

When considering inflation, sure. I can't say I miss SLI at all, of which I did 3 times: 8800 GTX for $1,160 ($1,748 in 2023), GTX 780 for $1,300 ($1,722), and GTX 970 for $760 ($992). My AIB RTX 4090 was $1,750.
SLI and Crossfire: Double the price for 10% gains :p

Edit: Like I said, it served a purpose - and had 'cool radical' factor (marketing)
It wasn't that bad. Real world usage it was a wide range of 30-70% over a single card, but with little to no improvement to frame times.

A setup of 2 Diamond Monster3D-2 Voodoo2 12mb in 1998, not counting the regular video card you needed was $1,123 in 2023 dollars, Saphire Nitro+ fancy edition of the 7900xtx goes for $1080, quite similar.

The pentium 2 333mhz launched january 1998 launched at $1350 today dollar a 17inch CRT was about $1000-$1200 so GPU did not look as much big of a price relative to those items.

The average desktop PC was purchased at $3000 in today dollars and that was seen as a fast price decline versus the previous years (and it was).

One big difference when the Geforce 2 launched in 2000 that sli voodoo 2 setup was quite obsolete, people that paid $1600 for a 4090 will often sell them at good price when they will upgrade to the 5090 and they will almost certainly be relevant gaming card in 2027 (will be long before the xx60 series is 33% faster than a 4090).

Last edited:
A setup of 2 Diamond Monster3D-2 Voodoo2 12mb in 1998, not counting the regular video card you needed was $1,123 in 2023 dollars, Saphire Nitro+ fancy edition of the 7900xtx goes for $1080, quite similar.

The pentium 2 333mhz launched january 1998 launched at $1350 today dollar a 17inch CRT was about $1000-$1200 so GPU did not look as much big of a price relative to those items.

The average desktop PC was purchased at $3000 in today dollars and that was seen as a fast price decline versus the previous years (and it was)

When I hear of people buying $1,300 Apple II in 1977:

The average desktop PC was purchased at $3000 in today dollars and that was seen as a fast price decline versus the previous years (and it was).

One big difference when the Geforce 2 launched in 2000 that sli voodoo 2 setup was quite obsolete, people that paid $1600 for a 4090 will often sell them at good price when they will upgrade to the 5090 and they will almost certainly be relevant gaming card in 2027 (will be long before the xx60 series is 33% faster than a 4090).

My go to comparison is a little bit later than that, as those early 3DFX products weren't quite from a mature market yet.

I think of that time I bought the fastest GPU money could buy, the GeForce 3 TI500 in October 2001 for $349

With inflation, in 2023 dollars that is equivalent to $599.

Hmm that seems like a large stretch of the word "many". Very few people ever bought two cards for SLI or Crossfire like 1% of the market and thus it went the way of the dodo.

I agree. My first (Asus) 8800GTX was $706 w/ tax&ship (ZipZoomfly - Nov 6th 2006) and I bought one with the intention of buying another one when I had the funds.. My second (eVGA) 8800GTX was $530 bought from a forum member here three months later (Feb 2007).

Paying $1200 on video cards in 2006/2007 feels a lot like the solo RTX4090 purchase ($1769) spring 2023.

Hmm that seems like a large stretch of the word "many". Very few people ever bought two cards for SLI or Crossfire like 1% of the market and thus it went the way of the dodo.
And how many do you think buy a 4090? ;) Sli and crossfire went the way of the dodo because of dx12.

Even my GPU costs have kinda stayed the same for the most part cause I went from having x50 class cards in the main HTPC for some gaming and x50 or x60 in the main rig, and then decided to just go x70 in the main rig alone because game streaming was good enough with Android TV devices to consolidate down - I lucked out with the GTX 970 in terms of overall cost when I made the switch (even with mUh 3pOiNtFiVe GiGaBoOts ) but then come RTX it was back to business as usual basically with my overall cost

Grandfather of DLSS/FSR? 🤔

It was an evolutionary dead end. Killed off motion blur and set back depth of field by a few years.

Instead of chasing perfect graphics between 30 and 60 FPS we got faster monitors and we’re still working on cards that can drive them.

Far Cry 2 with all the dials turned up looked amazing as long as you could keep it above 30 FPS. Took three HD3000s, though.

That rig melted the paint on the wall behind it…

When considering inflation, sure. I can't say I miss SLI at all, of which I did 3 times: 8800 GTX for $1,160 ($1,748 in 2023), GTX 780 for $1,300 ($1,722), and GTX 970 for $760 ($992). My AIB RTX 4090 was $1,750.
Great point. ...and if you use ShadowStats inflation number (aka REAL inflation), it's not that bad.

Back