MLB 14 The Show

Razzy

Limp Gawd
I don't have a PS4 but will admit that this game has me considering getting one. I think it comes out today so hoping to get a bit of feedback from those of you who get it.

Its good but has some issues its slow loading and has frame rate issues. If your buying a ps4 for this then don't be disappointed and be patient people need to remember new systems need time for games so just remember that.

Edit the online needs work big time.

Last edited:
The online is useless..the rest..meh.

Old Baseball Stars remains teh best Baseball game eva :)

Its good but has some issues its slow loading and has frame rate issues. If your buying a ps4 for this then don't be disappointed and be patient people need to remember new systems need time for games so just remember that.

Edit the online needs work big time.

Son of a bitch... I wanted to pick this up to deal with less load times and frame rate problems than the The Show 13 (PS3).

If you get this, make sure to get a Hybrid drive or an SSD for your PS4. It helps tremendously. Also, you'll have a mandatory 5 GB download, which can feel like it takes forever. To make things worse, the game allows you to start while it's installing, but you can't actually do anything for half an hour. The game also has some pay to play features, albeit you can probably earn them in game (I really haven't gotten far yet, only having it for less than a day).

Outside of that, the graphics are a step up from the PS3 version, and it's The Show, so it is a good sports game (and baseball game) overall. Still ridiculously difficult for me to play.

I think an SSD makes a massive difference here. I have a 1 TB Evo on my PS4 and load times are 25 seconds or so. Not bad at all.

really, frame rate issues? I was looking forward to this on my ps4 to get it some use. This is getting annoying.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...ed-up-game-loading-time-by-20-seconds-or-more

I went with this have them in ps3 and ps4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097LG9U8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Putting a 490 dollar ssd in a 399 dollar console to save seconds is not a smart thing at all. IMO

I'd rather go with the SSD for faster performance and better reliability over a hybrid drive. I've completely abandoned HDDs for non server usage. For the 5+ years I'll use the PS4 I want higher end.

Also it's not just load times. I want very reliable fast streaming of data. Trials fusion is a good example right now as there is a much shorter delay on SSD with texture pop in. Thinking forward to GTA style games, I don't want pop in when I'm speeding down the highway.

In the end, $500 just isn't that much money. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did the Hybrid drive myself, I'll get a 1TB SSD when they are under 200 bucks or more. I looked everywhere for testing betweeen a 7200rpm drive and the others that have already been tested but couldn't find anything. I rotate between games frequently so the 8GB cache is not ideal for me.

Last edited:
The 15FPS broadcast shots and long load times are disappointing. Hopefully it will be improved in a future patch.

How is game play though? Is it the best baseball game to be released yet? I've been mulling over whether to go pick this up or not, but with Watchdogs coming not sure if it will be worth it.

How is game play though? Is it the best baseball game to be released yet? I've been mulling over whether to go pick this up or not, but with Watchdogs coming not sure if it will be worth it.

Its good no doubt but since I still have last years I should have gone by my madden rules and skipped the first year on a new system. Just wanted something not indie to play.

Just picked this up. This is some impressive load time :eek:
Impressively terrible or actually impressive?

I'm considering picking this up while I wait for NHL 15 to drop for the PS4. Never liked watching baseball on TV but always enjoyed playing it and playing the video games.

Impressively terrible or actually impressive?

I'm considering picking this up while I wait for NHL 15 to drop for the PS4. Never liked watching baseball on TV but always enjoyed playing it and playing the video games.

Pretty terrible, mainly I was referring to the install.

Game is good overall, base running and fielding are a disaster sometimes though. Maybe I just need to figure it out, sometimes I am 100% convinced the fielding camera is trying to make sure I can't catch a fly ball.

Pretty terrible, mainly I was referring to the install.

Game is good overall, base running and fielding are a disaster sometimes though. Maybe I just need to figure it out, sometimes I am 100% convinced the fielding camera is trying to make sure I can't catch a fly ball.
Ahh, well from what I've seen on a few streams, the load times don't seem that terrible for the most part until you are benched and are called in to pinch-hit for one inning (Spamfish on Twitch had that happen). Makes loading the game not really worth it unless you actually accomplish something good. The camera seems like it could get annoying at times.

Seems like a good experience though. Wondering if a hybrid SSD/HDD would improve load times at all.

Have you tried using the analogs for hitting and base running?
Can I assume that you cannot play online ps3 against ps4 versions?
Correct.

I have fielding mostly down, still having a disaster of a time base running. I've tried analog and it didn't help, I honestly don't undstand those two arrows that point left or right or up and down on the diamond mini map.

I have fielding mostly down, still having a disaster of a time base running. I've tried analog and it didn't help, I honestly don't undstand those two arrows that point left or right or up and down on the diamond mini map.

For advancing and returning to base. I'm not sure why they decided to have stealing and running two different sets of arrows rather than one though. Half the time it feels like I'll be stealing, and I get a hit, only to have my player decided to return to first while the other guy is on first, and then have the force out at second.

Base running just feels too clunky for me at the moment.

After hearing years of rave reviews for The Show I had high expectations for this game but it plays like crap. Have baseball games really got that bad that this is considered good?

After hearing years of rave reviews for The Show I had high expectations for this game but it plays like crap. Have baseball games really got that bad that this is considered good?

I think the problem is they kept adding features and changing things to keep it "fresh" and the whole thing is overly complex now. Too may sliders, settings, modes, adjustments, and control schemes. Maybe I am an old grump, but holy shit I just want to play a relaxing baseball game. A few years ago I didn't have problems fielding or running bases in The Show. Now the game makes me feel retarded :eek: It is like Madden Syndrome is setting in...

I played the shit out of "The Bigs" and that was a cartoony baseball game with power ups and special moves. It was damn fun and anyone could grab a controller and figure it out.

Last edited:
Although I haven't played online at all yet, I've been having a BLAST playing Road To The Show (RTTS). The only thing that is annoying is that I used my 30,000 stubs to enhance my player and after doing that, it seems as though my player has gotten worse ... so that is a little frustrating. Otherwise, it's a great game and has a ton of different play options to choose from.

Although I haven't played online at all yet, I've been having a BLAST playing Road To The Show (RTTS). The only thing that is annoying is that I used my 30,000 stubs to enhance my player and after doing that, it seems as though my player has gotten worse ... so that is a little frustrating. Otherwise, it's a great game and has a ton of different play options to choose from.

What you should do is play the community challenges. Find one of the challenges that's marked with a tag of super easy. Typically it will be something like the Red Sox or Yankees needing to win in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and bases loaded with 99 attempts against the Cubs, Marlins, or Astros for 5000 stubs. You'll have a super built RTTS character in an hour or so.

What you should do is play the community challenges. Find one of the challenges that's marked with a tag of super easy. Typically it will be something like the Red Sox or Yankees needing to win in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and bases loaded with 99 attempts against the Cubs, Marlins, or Astros for 5000 stubs. You'll have a super built RTTS character in an hour or so.

This has my interest, thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Holy shit, I'll give it a try ... is there a limit to how many times you can do the challenge??

This game is bad ass on ps4. Yeah the load times are long but the gameplay is legit. I'll play anyone here on ps4 my ID is comeonvideogame
I never played this series until this year and I'm hooked. I've had a couple issues online but nothing desk breaking

I've been watching a fairly popular streamer, Towelliee, play MLB14 the show a lot. The career mode seems pretty awesome and the game play is pretty decent as well too. I have always been a major baseball fan and played from Kindergarten (little league) all the way up to a couple years in college. Makes me want to buy a PS4 just to play.

I've been watching a fairly popular streamer, Towelliee, play MLB14 the show a lot. The career mode seems pretty awesome and the game play is pretty decent as well too. I have always been a major baseball fan and played from Kindergarten (little league) all the way up to a couple years in college. Makes me want to buy a PS4 just to play.

I'm not sure I'd buy a PS4 just to play MLB 14 The Show, however, there's a lot of other reasons to buy the PS4 for console gaming and other entertainment options. I'm sure you probably already know this, but just wanted to say that if you add the PSN Plus subscription. The monthly free games aren't what I would say amazing, but they are usually better than what you might guess.

If you do pick one up, hit me up if you want to play some baseball.

Back