mkv files from handbrake in Media Center 7?

eldiet

Limp Gawd
So I've been playing around with handbrake to rip dvd and bluray to mkv files. However I have had a difficult time getting them to play under media center (or even media player). but they play fine in vlc and media player classic.

The only way I had them play in media center was installing the divx codec pack but that broke my HD-PVR (wouldn't record with divx installed)

I am looking for the raw codecs I would need to play the files back without installing a million codec packs.

Thanks.

You just need to install Haali's Media Splitter on Windows 7/MC7 and it'll be able to "read" MKV files from that point on. No codecs, just that splitter and that's pretty much it for MKV playback without anything else - however I will still recommend having MPC-HC around for general media duties... ;)

Thanks for the responses. I have at one time tried both the Haali's Media Splitter and the Gabest’s Matroska Splitters. Neither would play the mkv's I converted in handbrake. They did allow me to play other mkv's (like top gear).

I've since reinstalled a fresh copy of win7 and immediately made a full backup, so i can try installing one thing, then restore back to a fresh image if it fails.

I'll put some more effort into it tonight and report back.

So i must have had too many codecs installed last time, because i tried the 3 step process from hack7mc and all mkv files play flawlessly.

last time I tried the screen would fade to black but the video would never play.

are you using H.264 or are you using Divx to encode the movies. Windows 7 media center should support both but if running windows vista media center (dont know about xp) it doesn't come with Divx codecs installed.

I use handbrake all the time and it works just fine but I use the H.264 codec, it takes longer but usually is better than Divx anyways.

well then I looked over the link, and if you followed it to the tooth then it should be set to the H.264 codec in Handbrake, but from my experience if you want to ever put the movies on other devices such as Ipods,iphones, Zune, Stream to Xbox, etc I would use the H.264 codec in the .mp4 or .m4v cause all of those device support that along with Window Media Center.

Also a side not for streaming videos to xbox you can only stream a file up to 4 gbs, granted that was the last time I looked at the specs for streaming to xbox and that was a few updates ago as well.

Back