Mixing Same type Ram of different sizes?

edo101

Limp Gawd
I am on the old X58 platform that has 6 DIMM slots which can run dual or tripple channel modes

My mother is the Asrock X58 Extreme 3 and its manual is here: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/...20Extreme3.pdf

I need to upgrade my ram. I currently have 6GB plus a 4th 2GB of the same Corsair XMS3 modules. Right now CPUz says even though I have 4 sticks outta 6,I am running in thriple channel mode. I was gonna add 2x4GB sticks for a total of 16GB of RAM. My question is, would the Ram all run in triple channel mode despite it being A1->2Gb A2->2Gb B1->2Gb B2->4Gb C1->2Gb C2->4Gb?

Or is it better to just buy a 2x2GB kit so its all uniform for 12GB of RAM? Which i guess would ensure tripple channel mode?

With 4+6+6, anything accessed above 12GB will be done single channel, but below that will retain triple-channel functionality.

Why not replace it all with 4GB sticks to max out the board with 24GB while keeping it in triple channel for all of it?

With 4+6+6, anything accessed above 12GB will be done single channel, but below that will retain triple-channel functionality.

Why not replace it all with 4GB sticks to max out the board with 24GB while keeping it in triple channel for all of it?

Because that would be mroe expensive. I might just buy 4GB for 18 to 20 bucks and stick with 12Gb then. It seems like it would be most optimized that way, even if 12Gb is less than 16 or 14 GB

Agreed that whatever the cheapest route to get to triple channel mode is going to be the most effective. I don't think there's any way, though, that with four sticks you can get to triple channel. I'd replace the 4GB sticks with 2GB sticks, and call it good.

Agreed that whatever the cheapest route to get to triple channel mode is going to be the most effective. I don't think there's any way, though, that with four sticks you can get to triple channel. I'd replace the 4GB sticks with 2GB sticks, and call it good.

yeah im getting 2 more 2gb sticks for 12gb total

Back