minidisc storage question

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
i recently recieved a sony minidisc player, but since i already have an ipod, i really don't see myself using it to play music. My question is, can i put data files on minidiscs sorta like a portable harddrive? Also is there any free minidisc software that allows me to do this?

nope
I looked for a long time myself for something like that I thought it would have been really cool.

u can use ipod os harddrive tho
I would sell minidisc on ebay.

damn that sucks, that would be cool if you could. Oh well. and yes i know you can use your ipod as a harddrive. i just figured more harddrives = better :D

Yes, you can use the minidisc player is basically a CDRW, i don't remember the size of the older disks, maybe a couple hundred mb's. You just need to intall the drivers for the player, and when you plug it into the PC it should how up as an external burning device. This works very well with the newer 1gb minidiscs.

There was a long time ago a mini disk drive for computers. They where scsi drives or floppy interface. I think the capacity was roughly 130mb for single sided standard density. The idea never took off and they where scrapped in short order. Every once and a while some one will sell one on ebay.

Are they the new ones with the 1GB disks? If I recall correctly, those can be used to store data.

I don't think the old ones can though.

trust_no1 said:
Are they the new ones with the 1GB disks? If I recall correctly, those can be used to store data.

The old ones cannot though.

QFT

Edit: Its the Hi-MD players that can store data and not just music. All others its just atrac3 music.

More info here, scroll down to the NetMD/Hi-MD section at the bottom of the Wiki. Also, for the sake of nostalgia, the MDH-10 (the one original computer interface device), can be seen on this MD-Data page over at the Minidisc.org page.

Back