Midrange p35 or highend 650i

xpsango

Limp Gawd
I am really debating on what mobo I should get for my upcoming build for the fall. I am having a hard time deciding between the msi 650i p6N platinum and the Gigabyte p35-dS3r. They are both good overclockers supposedly. Similar price points.

unless you need SLI imo the Gigabyte (or other P35 mobo).

I am with BUFF. Unless you want SLI, the P35 is a very robust solution. The gigabyte, asus, or even a G33 version of either is a very capable solution.

i'd wait for the DS3R prices to drop a little. they seem inflated... if you can't wait, the P6N Platinum has had excellent reviews and is a little more mature than the DS3R.

650i... then you won't have to pay Intel's premium markup for the priveledge of using their P965 refresh, the P33.

Plus at this point, you're taking a crapshoot whether Penryn will be supported correctly in any motherboard... whether it claims "native" support or not.

I took a chance on the EVGA 650i Ultra and I love it.

650i... then you won't have to pay Intel's premium markup for the priveledge of using their P965 refresh, the P33.

Plus at this point, you're taking a crapshoot whether Penryn will be supported correctly in any motherboard... whether it claims "native" support or not.

I took a chance on the EVGA 650i Ultra and I love it.

It's only a crapshoot, if you don't choose the p35...

:)

it look like p35 for me once intel makes the price cuts on the quad-core for me. Would it be worth it picking up the p35 with ddr3 compatibility?

it look like p35 for me once intel makes the price cuts on the quad-core for me. Would it be worth it picking up the p35 with ddr3 compatibility?

If you really want to have DDR3 capability, I'd grab that DS3 with DDR2 and DDR3 support. DDR3 is way too expensive right now. Probably 2x1GB of DDR2 for now, then drop in 2x2GB of DDR3 later.

I'm very happy with my 650i at first I was kinda pissed I didnt wait but now I dont regret it one second.

What size monitor will you be going with? If its smaller than 24" (1920x1200), then you don't really need SLI, so go with a P35 board.

DDR3 shows no advantage over DDR2 at its current state. It will need to mature alot more before hitting mainstream.

Go with the EVGA 650i and if you ever feel that you need more horsepower you can stepup to a 680i, yes... thats right stepup your motherboard. :D

I just picked up a 650i ultra to play around with. Hopefully I made a good decision over the P35 ;). I'll probably end up with a X38 board, but until then the 650i should be plenty.

I'm pickin up the MSI 650i as well. I know it will be a better choice over the DS3R I was originally going to get.;)

P35 chipset (if SLI is not wanted). Very stable, good price/performance ratio and you won't have any probs with 4 memory sticks.

I'm pickin up the MSI 650i as well. I know it will be a better choice over the DS3R I was originally going to get.;)
why do you say that?
I've got a 650i & a 965 (& P35 is just a refined 965) - imo only 2 reasons to go 650i - SLI & 2 native IDE channels.
If you don't need those then 965/P35 imo is superior.

why do you say that?
I've got a 650i & a 965 (& P35 is just a refined 965) - imo only 2 reasons to go 650i - SLI & 2 native IDE channels.

Well, I didn't buy the 650i because I thought it was superior. I bought it because it was cheap. $80 or so AR is why I wanted it ;). The "good" cheap P35 boards were all in the $130 range. So essentially I saved myself $50 while I'm waiting for X38 boards to come out and come down in price.

why do you say that?

SLi is not a good reason to buy the 650i boards, not if you want the fastest SLi that is, they are only 8 x 8 in SLi. If you want the best out of SLi, go for the 680i LT or better.

The 650i boards just offer a great stable OC'ing platform (P6N SLi-Fi in my case) with much better memory clocking options than on the Intel chipsets for far less money.

Just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth.

but F1a^ is paying over $100 for his P6N (unless oem) I would guess & at that level there are good P35s available - IP35 is $113 at mwave after rebate, P35-DS3R etc.

The IP35 for $117 AR is a good price for that board. I'd take that over the P6N.

I suppose it's all in what you like in a MoBo and chipset I guess...............:cool: I'll stick with Nvidia chipsets for right now, I just seem to get better OC results with them, even the cheaper ones...............:D

I suppose it's all in what you like in a MoBo and chipset I guess...............:cool: I'll stick with Nvidia chipsets for right now, I just seem to get better OC results with them, even the cheaper ones...............:D

Well, I have my 650i Ultra board in the mail, so I hope I get good OC's with it ;).

I would personally go for the P35. It is a better overclocker than the 650i board.

I'm not doubting that, but I'm just using the 650i as a holdover until X38 comes out. I'll use it for a while, then offload it into a backup rig later. Ideally, it sounds like it's a good budget board, I'm hoping it clocks decently. From what I've seen, it should OC well enough.

I would personally go for the P35. It is a better overclocker than the 650i board.

Any proof of that to back up your statememt.............:eek: Or are we supposed to just simply take your word on that........not..............;)

Well, I have my 650i Ultra board in the mail, so I hope I get good OC's with it ;).

The reff Ultra boards are lacking on some of the bios voltage settings, I'm not all that impressed with them myself, there are better choices out there for 650i boards............:D

The reff Ultra boards are lacking on some of the bios voltage settings, I'm not all that impressed with them myself, there are better choices out there for 650i boards............:D

Well, with air cooling, I don't plan on maxing out the board anyway. Something over 3Ghz with a C2D or C2Q should be plenty.

I'm in this same debate. I want one or the other and I want it as cheap as possible. I don't want to upgrade anytime soon, though, so I want it to be future proof. Is the P35 premium worth it?

I'm in this same debate. I want one or the other and I want it as cheap as possible. I don't want to upgrade anytime soon, though, so I want it to be future proof. Is the P35 premium worth it?

If that's the case, I'd get a P35 board. The Abits are a little cheaper right now. The Gigabyte DS3's can be found with different features all over the price spectrum.

Any proof of that to back up your statememt.............:eek: Or are we supposed to just simply take your word on that........not..............;)
How many screenies have you seen of nF 6xx chipset mobos over 600fsb (& quads over 500fsb)?
I've seen several P35 & 550fsb+ is doable on 965 too.

Back