Microsoft’s Clippy Returns

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have been having Clippy withdrawals for the past few years, your fix is on the horizon. In the infinite wisdom of Microsoft, the company has decided to bring Clippy out of retirement and give him a new position as a guide for a video and not as the know-it-all paperclip of days past. Welcome back, Clippy!! (drop dead) :D

JFC. That thing is asinine, and a nuisance. Maybe MS should consider logical UI designs so that people don't need help or training to accomplish simple tasks.

JFC. That thing is asinine, and a nuisance. Maybe MS should consider logical UI designs so that people don't need help or training to accomplish simple tasks.

You mean like 2007 and 2010's ribbon interface? Doesn't get much easier than that, but to maintain Office's huge flexibility and capability, functions obscured for basic users must remain. That's where Clippy can help with.

20110430102736_4dbc468835b04.jpg

Clippy also has his own game.. Ribbon Hero 2

You mean like 2007 and 2010's ribbon interface? Doesn't get much easier than that, but to maintain Office's huge flexibility and capability, functions obscured for basic users must remain. That's where Clippy can help with.

It gets easier than that when things are put in a logical place to begin with, and work in an expected (eg, consistent) fashion. Ribbon requires that you learn where everything is and how to use it - each feature independently. That UI really is only logical if you randomly see what you need in its prediction/MRU thing, which also follows no consistent logic, and doesn't let me work the way I want to.

I went from office 2003 to Open Office, which was based on 2003 but corrected many of its UI silliness. Then I went to 2010, and then back to OOO after a horrible experience trying to build a style set for consistent documentation.

They should have done this 29 days ago. Then we all could have had a good laugh and gotten on with our lives.

Clippy should be features in a FPS game so everyone can blow him away!

The only Office Assistant I could tolerate was Scribbles, the paper cat. Once I got to Office 2000 I just didn't install the thing at all. That frinkin' paper clip needs to stay dead. I hated it then, and I hate it now.

I just hope that OpenOffice doesnt decide to add their own version of Clippy...

Of course it would be a much less annoying, more useful, and gennerally BETTER clippy... but it would still be clippy...

I just tried this out for a bit, it's actually quite clever and the self-deprecating humor is something that refreshing. Yeah Clippy was pretty pointless along with the other Agent stuff that Microsoft tried to salvage from Bob.

I just hope that OpenOffice doesnt decide to add their own version of Clippy...

Of course it would be a much less annoying, more useful, and gennerally BETTER clippy... but it would still be clippy...

Now if OpenOffice itself could be better they might be on to something.

Unlike most of you, I have no quarrel with Clippy. If a cartoon character of an inanimate office utensil is going to help me create my documents, then I won't turn down the help.

didn't use it much but not sure what i'll use it for, but god i hope it looks better and have smoother options compare to last one.

Welcome back clippy!

Am I the only one that actually missed you? You provided a great distraction to the work I didn't want to get done way back when, and you still are the target of many a crude joke. Though, you were like that friend that you never really wanted to be around because at about the five minute mark we'd all remember how annoying you were...

Back