Microsoft Repositions 7TB 'Project Silica' Glass Media as a Cloud Storage Solution

That link is about iMacs.

kac77 wrong link i think
itsatrap-2.jpg

But i dont want to bury my old imacs. Nice to see how long apple does actually support stuff.

I didnt see anything about erase or re-wright. Still Worm drives have their place and no doubt that'll be solved eventually. The tech looks pretty neat, 7tb crestal floppy disks ah-la Star Trek/Babylon 5.

I didnt see anything about erase or re-wright. Still Worm drives have their place and no doubt that'll be solved eventually. The tech looks pretty neat, 7tb crestal floppy disks ah-la Star Trek/Babylon 5.
I really like the idea of them for permanent backup. Big chunk of family photos or even music/movie collection

"We claim it should last for 10k years, but we dont have any actual proof though...we just assume based on some tests and then making assumptions..."

I really like the idea of them for permanent backup. Big chunk of family photos or even music/movie collection
Two words: Disney computer.

View: https://youtu.be/9VcE2MDuRyQ?si=8LoHPKCmeJG9ofZV&t=230

On topic: silica storage sounds pretty amazing:
"In contrast, data stored in glass, with its natural resistance to water, electromagnetic pulses, extreme temperatures, and surface scratching, can be stable for thousands of years."

But can I write "Disney photos" with a Sharpie on a 7TB glass disc and it can still be read?

Last edited:
"...hard disks and tape are used to store the large amounts of data - those photos you take on your phone" - yeah....that's what Microsoft needs us to keep storing indefinitely.

Yeah, like Shoganai said, I don't know about 10,000 years even in ideal conditions. Tech could be cool, but it would be cooler if we knew it actually worked like that. Even if, 10,000 years or five minutes - depends on who is holding it at the time....

Did they stabilize the glass? Being an amorphous solid, I would be concerned with some level of data corruption over time. That could be mitigated in various ways I'm sure, but not so sure it can be eliminated entirely.

Note: "Glass doesn't flow!" --various blogs

That doesn't mean it doesn't change shape at all.

How can you claim something can last 10,000 years? How do they verify that?
Accelerated aging testing. Often it is done in high heat conditions. This is used in pretty much every sector of development. Obviously because you cant wait years to evaluate if something lasts that long or not. For example i do battery testing and we store batteries at 60degees Celsius for 20days and this equates about a year of room temperature storage. You can take the measurements from them at 20 40 60 days and plot that to then see a trendline for how long it will be in a 'useful' state.

About the only benefit here is the longevity of the media... don't get me wrong, that's pretty cool. But I feel like this isn't aimed at the average joe ...

Did they stabilize the glass? Being an amorphous solid, I would be concerned with some level of data corruption over time. That could be mitigated in various ways I'm sure, but not so sure it can be eliminated entirely.

Note: "Glass doesn't flow!" --various blogs

That doesn't mean it doesn't change shape at all.
Is this concern greater than for crystal solids? (Since all solids change shape over time given non zero temps or other energy input)

Is this concern greater than for crystal solids? (Since all solids change shape over time given non zero temps or other energy input)
Probably depends on the crystal. But, whereas a crystal can be expected to have structures in certain positions, especially if the molecule is very stable, glass has no defined structure (not as far as crystal, anyway).

I don't know how exactly that might effect the stability of the glass (if at all) compared to crystal, honestly, or if it matters for this purpose. I was just curious if they had done anything about it, or if it was necessary.

Back