Microsoft File Server Migration Tool

Got a file server out of space just about and want to move it over to a new box. Never used the tool before in the past as I've always just moved files by hand. Win2008 is on both machines

Reading in the docs it says to rename the source file server SV1 to SV1_OLD before starting? Do I then give the target server the old name of the source server which would be SV1 or does it matter since the tool is supposed to in essence keep that intact without renaming the target?

Just want to clear that up before I proceed.

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind I can't use it. DFS is only supported on higher end versions of Server08. I've got standard.

Last edited:
Firstly I'm pretty sure DFS is present on 2008 Standard, but personally I've always used Robocopy for file server migrations.

Do the initial copy out of hours (if there's any issue of performance being impacted substantially), then each day do an incremental with options to mirror (be really careful with this!!) and copy permissions etc.

Then when you want to do the move you make the source server read only, do you last incremental copy, which should go pretty quickly, then shut down the old server and rename the new one.

I usually use these switches assuming you're doing an entire drive as the source:

ROBOCOPY \\source\x$ x: /MIR /COPYALL /MT /ZB /R:1 /W:1 /TEE /NP /TIMFIX /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "RECYCLER" "SIS Common Store" "System Volume Information" /LOG:c:\temp\x.log

the Migration tools works without DFS. I have used it a few server migrations - mostly SBS upgrades.
It helps with DFS since it can take care of server names but its fine without.
I like how it does the transfer to the new server, then on completion disables existing shares while it moves any changes before bringing the shares online. and keeps your security settings.

If you did this and renamed the server to match the old name it should result in users not noticing anything.

Back