Microsoft confirms self-publishing on Xbox One

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Via JoyStiq:

Following a report from earlier today, Microsoft has confirmed the Xbox One console will support self-publishing for independent developers. Retail systems will also double as development kits, meaning any Xbox One purchased in a store can be used for game development and testing purposes.

Full Article

I figured this would have been the case, but it's about time they came out and confirmed this particular issue. This should have been a thing, and talked about right from the get-go, to get as many indie developers as possible on board.

Via JoyStiq:

I figured this would have been the case, but it's about time they came out and confirmed this particular issue. This should have been a thing, and talked about right from the get-go, to get as many indie developers as possible on board.

They are doing this because they are losing the indie dev scene to Sony. MS has a history of problems with smaller developers. Especially when they released a UI update that buried the indie section of XBox Live so deep people couldn't even find it. They did that at the same time they stuff even more ads for shit like TV show on the home screen.

Xbox 180 180 180
What else are they gonna turn around today?
Gotta copy PS4 to save face, but it might be already too late!

MS has a history of problems with smaller developers. Especially when they released a UI update that buried the indie section of XBox Live so deep people couldn't even find it.

I do think Microsoft, up to this point, hasn't done enough for indie developers (although they've certainly did a much better job than Sony did, on the PS3). It's definitely been a problem, although I don't think they "buried" the Indie section. When they had the update it was moved, but I'd hardly call it buried. The problem is they don't promote Indie games like they should. Pretty much the only time an indie game gets any sort of promotion is when an indie dev. wins one of Microsoft's game development contests, and their title is published to the Live Arcade.

Back