Micro ATX boards and cases. Good? Bad? thoughts?

Sedriss

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. Right now im in a situation where i would like to get a new case for my system. And maybe actually a new board as well. Currently i have the Thermaltake Kandalf Tower (black). I like the case but when i ordered the case i played stupid and didnt notice that it's made of steel unlike its counterpart (silver) which is aluminum.

The case is heavy as hell and gets sluggish to carry to lans. Im currently still using socket 939 and wasnt REALLY planning upgrading to anything new just yet. But i wanted to get a case that would be easier to take to lans. I thought of getting a shuttle but the problem is i would need one with SLI. SLI shuttles are quite a bit of money.

So i was looking into maybe gettinc a Micro ATX board and case still using 939. I was wondering what would be a good Micro ATX board that supported 939 and which case would be good? Here are some thoughts i came up with.

Cases:
Are the Aspire x qpack's any good at all?

http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-qpack-black.html

Motherboards:
I've only been able to find this board that would supports SLI. Any suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188007

Hello, I just recently built a microATX system.

I do have a X Q-pack case, its an awesome case with neat feature's, but you are Bound to run into a fitting problem somewhere. For instance, my Sunbeam Nuuo 550w PSU, it fits but barely... the lower fan shroud (when the case cover is on) hits the middle bracket in the case, thus making noise, very annoying noise. I fixed it however by putting a piece of metal underneath the PSU to hold it up and support it from flexing.

I bought a P5L-MX for my Lapped E6300 CPU. the Mobo sucks. If I over clock my P5L-MX anything over 5%, the LAN wont work, thus preventing me to get online. Very VERY annoying. Its a good thing i bought this mobo for Temporary fill in (till matx SLI comes out)

the max OC i have gotten off stock air is 2.42ghz with this Mobo (using 2x512mb corsair ram)... it was stable and ran cool as hell. But I could get alot more if i were to running in a Full atx board. (person i bought the cpu from, claims 3.3ghz stable oc stock air).

All-in-all, I love the compact design. The size is awesome, and when you have something small, push out a ton of power. It makes it all more gratifying.

Conclusion- I can really give an honest answer, im not even half as knowledgeable as most of the members on this site. But my next build, will be in a Lian Li full tower.

the EVGA Nf4 is the only Sli micro atx board. check the thread in the sff section, its a dog when it comes to overclocking. the qpack is starting to show its age, the ultra microfly uses the same interior but it has an extra inch and a half which allows more space for ATX sized PSU. sffstore.com has 2 new variations of the microfly if you want something different, you still have a support beam above your cpu which limits the height of your CPU cooling choices.

Back