Mic Mod for Gaming

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
Hey, I've decided that headsets that have microphones on them SUCK!... (please voice if you disagree)

What I want to do is get a microphone and either modify it by adding it to the headset (making it detachable) or find a desk set one that works very well....

Your mic suggestions MUST have noise-canceling... Thanks

GO GO GO ;) DO IT NOW!

i have a headset w/ a mic on it, it only provides sound for one ear tho, i like it cuz i can keep it close to my mouth for more clarity.

if you spend 10-20 dollars you'll find a mic which works just fine tho

This coming from a person who happens to tape live performances.........

If you want some microphones that provide good sound quality and will go on your desk (and are cheap) you really can not go wrong with building your own set of stereo binaural microphones.

I have a set that I built myself, cost is approximately 30 dollars or so, and they are EXCELLENT sound quality. while I have never tried using them for gaming, I will do so this weekend and see (hear) how it works.

Most games that use the microphone for player input have the audio stream so compressed it sounds like ass anyway.

linkage:

http://webpages.charter.net/tidmarsh/binmic/

theres more if you just google it, not to mention with a decent stereo recording deck you can then tape concerts as well !

for examples of these microphones in a concert setting email or im :)

sorry brain fart.

I meant MAKE recordings of LIVE PERFORMANCES.

I'll edit

Get a Sennheiser pc150. Good overall sound experience with a clear noise cancelling mic included (no modding).

Originally posted by Octavo
sorry brain fart.

I meant MAKE recordings of LIVE PERFORMANCES.

I'll edit

i'm sorry i don't know what you're talking about with making recordings of live performances, where did you get that i did that?

because i don't, i used my headset for cs, when i still played

I know this sounds kind of strange, but I found that the highest quality headset I've had for my computer is the xbox live headset. My mom bought it for me, and I just bought a 3/25ths of an inch to 1/8th of an inch adapter, plugged it in and let it rip. I've done some quick recording with it and it has very nice quality for a reasonably cheap price. It fits behind my head and doesn't get in the way too, the only problem is you have to use speakers with it because it only comes with one speaker on one ear, which is pretty useless.

Originally posted by Dome
i'm sorry i don't know what you're talking about with making recordings of live performances, where did you get that i did that?

because i don't, i used my headset for cs, when i still played

No NO, I'm saying that <I> make the recordings, so a little headset mic isn't exactly going to cut it, and I also have a good amount of experience with different microphones (and their respective companies).

And for price/quality, you can't beat a set of home made binaurals, sitting on a stand on your desk. It will blow away the quality of those little POS headset mics, and be just as cheap, though a little work has to be done.

And I did get a chance to use them in a computer setting, once again they perform quite well. Maybe not as good as a Neumann broadcast mic, but very well nonetheless. As long as they are within about 6 feet of the music source they are clear as a bell.

lata

If you don't want to make your own, you can always just buy a clip-on microphone. Clip it to your shirt or anywhere else where it can point in the general direction of your face. I know RadioShack carries them, and places like www.partsexpress.com should have them, too.

Right, so anyone else?

Like a mic with a flexable neck that I could attach to the headset?

because I don't really want a shirt worn one, for 2 reason,.. one I don't always wear a shirt ;), two, it can move and volume will change

Back