Metro 2033/Steam Question

KillRoy X

Gawd
This could be a stupid question that has been answered, but I don't know the answer so here it goes.

A friend that finished 2033 sold it to me in retail box that included activation code. I wasn't aware that this game needed Steam to work, should have looked on back of box. Anyways as you probably can figure out, the game won't work because the code has been used on other Steam account.

Went to Steam support showed the copy of Serial number and code. No response.

Question is, will there be anything I can do to have this work on my computer? It's a legit copy, it's not pirated etc. If not, I'll just get my money back from bud and buy online.

thx,

steam games are non-transferrable once you've activated it, so no you can't swap it to your account. tell him next time if he wants to resell steam activated games, make a new account first and use it only for that game, that way he can just sell the steam user. so yeah you're going to have to get a fresh copy, if you want it for your own library there's no way around that.

If he's really a friend, he'll give you your money back. Nothing you can do to (legally) make that copy work on your computer.

Pretty much what they both said.

Lucky for you that you can get your money back. I would advise that although Metro 2033 is a great game I would not pay full price considering how short it is unless you found a sweet deal.

Yeah, not worried bout getting money back, that will happen. Just frustrated with the way things work having Steam involved. Don't delete thread moderators, just a fact. I know the are thwarting piracy, but wish they would make exeptions once in a while. The hoops they have people jump through is ridiculous.

ah but the advantages of steam... not for this thread though.

you could always ask him for "his" steam account. what are friends for? :p

there are a lot of different complaints regarding those issues, but I tend to believe that it is necessary if pc gaming is to survive and thrive.

steam probably should allow expensive new games to be transferred once, but to do more, you would make sales like what happened last week impossible.

I have a feeling this thread is soon to go off the deep end.

Update:

Well that didn't work. My buddy let me log into his Steam account, still getting the same invalid activation code.

Baffled? Yes. Frustrated? Little bit.

Epic Fail? I think so

Shouldnt Metro already be on the game list? Just install it, an activation code shouldnt be necessary.

Not sure what you mean. When I attempt to install, it asks for activation code (like for almost all games) When I enter, it gives me the error message of invalid code due to Steam user already entered.

Oh hmm. I figured since the game had already been activated on Steam once it wouldnt ask for an activation code again.

Not sure what you mean. When I attempt to install, it asks for activation code (like for almost all games) When I enter, it gives me the error message of invalid code due to Steam user already entered.

Login to your friend's account and look for Metro in his games list. Right click on it and install. You will never need the activation code once it has been linked to a Steam account.

Back