Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Launches October 24 on Steam (and consoles) and includes:
  • Metal Gear (MSX2 version)
  • Metal Gear (NES version)
  • Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
  • Metal Gear Solid: Integral
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version)
  • Snake's Revenge

The official website requires marketing cookies be enabled, so I am not linking it here.

Last edited:

1687368183052.png

That is a good sign of minimal effort emulation, unfortunately.

Steam page is back up. They are doing the Ninja Gaiden thing of selling the titles individually and packing them into this collection if you want to buy them all. The collection comes with some digital extras like the screenplay and master books. The non-canon NES-exclusive sequel Snake's Revenge was also added, in addition to the original MSX2 version of the first game. It looks like this first volume of the collection is now mostly complete, only missing the Gamecube remake of the first Metal Gear Solid called Twin Snakes.

The bonus content for the pre-orders of METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol. 1 includes:

[3 Additional tracks to the Digital Soundtrack]
・THE BEST IS YET TO COME (Master Collection ver.)
・CAN’T SAY GOODBYE TO YESTERDAY (Master Collection ver.)
・SNAKE EATER (Master Collection ver.)

The origin of stealth action returns. METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol. 1 unifies the beginning of the METAL GEAR gameplay experience in one single package. Infiltrate enemy fortresses all over the globe, complete your missions with stealth and experience the thrilling cinematic story of the METAL GEAR series.

Volume 1 line-up features the original titles and beginning of the METAL GEAR series, including the original versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid (which also includes VR Missions/Special Missions), and the HD Collection versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Each main title in the line-up will also include an exclusive digital Screenplay Book and Master Book that details the story and characters in that game. This collection includes the classic versions of the games, complete with only minimal edits to copyrighted contents.

Those who purchase Volume 1 will also have access to a variety of bonus content including the two regional versions of Metal Gear, the original version of Snake's Revenge, the first and second Digital Graphic Novels in video form, and a digital soundtrack.

[Title lineup]
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid (Including VR Missions/Special Missions)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version)
Metal Gear (NES/FC version)
Snake's Revenge

Regional versions of the titles are available as additional downloads.

[Video]
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Solid 2: Digital Graphic Novel

[Digital book]
Metal Gear Solid: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear Solid: Master Book
Metal Gear Solid 2: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear Solid 2: Master Book
Metal Gear Solid 3: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear Solid 3: Master Book
Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Screenplay Book
Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Master Book

The digital books can be accessed from the game's main menu screen.

[Soundtrack]
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Soundtrack

Never play a proper game on PC. Would buy on a console. Would never buy on a PC.
If it plays properly on PC I don't see a problem buying it. I just hope it doesn't have the same issues PCSX2 has. Ideally the game would look like PCSX2 with the settings cranked, run smoothy fix the 16:9 issues, and ideally not require pressure sensitive buttons even though they were awesome. If it did that I would have no issue buying all the games on PC.

If it plays properly on PC I don't see a problem buying it. I just hope it doesn't have the same issues PCSX2 has. Ideally the game would look like PCSX2 with the settings cranked, run smoothy fix the 16:9 issues, and ideally not require pressure sensitive buttons even though they were awesome. If it did that I would have no issue buying all the games on PC.

Kinda. But PC is going to run worse for most people in general so should be avoided if possible. Then there is the issue that with, for example, MGS, the psychic fight reading your data card and telling you the games you played was half the fun of it and a key to realizing what was happening.

6 old games, some over two decades old, for $60. I appreciate them bringing them over. I wasn't interested in the first place, but if I was and saw that price tag it would be a hard pass.

Kinda. But PC is going to run worse for most people in general so should be avoided if possible. Then there is the issue that with, for example, MGS, the psychic fight reading your data card and telling you the games you played was half the fun of it and a key to realizing what was happening.
I highly doubt that the console version of this collection is going to run any better than on PC. The console version is going to be using the same type of emulation that the PC version will, only on much weaker hardware.
6 old games, some over two decades old, for $60. I appreciate them bringing them over. I wasn't interested in the first place, but if I was and saw that price tag it would be a hard pass.
8, technically, since VR Missions was originally a standalone title. That is only $7.50 per game.

I think this release is more for people who want to play the games again. Personally I'm mainly wanting to replay MGS3, it's a game I used to speedrun before Take-Chan started dominating the leaderboards, would like to get back into that. I probably have a 1 or 2 thousand hours in the game so $60 doesn't really bother me.

But yea $60 is a hard sell to people who see it as old games. I see it as great games.

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol.1 Will Be Locked at 1080p Resolution, 60 FPS on PC

WTH?
wow, stupid!
Actually looking forward to the 3make as I never got to play the original because by that time I was full on PC gaming exclusively.

For MGS you would want to emulate anyway, as the version included is not the superior GameCube remaster "Twin Snakes edition".

For MGS you would want to emulate anyway, as the version included is not the superior GameCube remaster "Twin Snakes edition".
I wouldn't say Twin Snakes is superior. It was ported to the MGS2 engine and changed to play more like MGS2. Some would argue that this ruined the original game, especially when it comes to some of the boss fights. I wouldn't say it's worse or better, just different.

I wouldn't say Twin Snakes is superior. It was ported to the MGS2 engine and changed to play more like MGS2. Some would argue that this ruined the original game, especially when it comes to some of the boss fights. I wouldn't say it's worse or better, just different.

And that's fair. But it feels like this was a a lost opertunity to make a more definative edition that could have unified the whole experience even better. Instead we got a cheap n' shoddy release :(

And that's fair. But it feels like this was a a lost opertunity to make a more definative edition that could have unified the whole experience even better. Instead we got a cheap n' shoddy release :(
TTS is probably in licensing hell. And there is already heavily rumored to be a new MGS Remake in development, anyway.

That said, if these retro collections sell well....TTS could show up, eventually.

When you have super low expectations and Konami still disappoints. Suikoden HD collections should be a easy job but they will screw it up somehow.

When you have super low expectations and Konami still disappoints. Suikoden HD collections should be a easy job but they will screw it up somehow.
Its sad how Konami has ruined their gaming division. Konami used to have some very talented developers working with them.

Twin Snakes sucked because they went to overboard on the 'late 90s/early 2000s everything is slow mo like John Woo Face/Off ain't it cool?' IIRC

https://www.ign.com/articles/konami...tion-vol-1-issues-to-be-addressed-post-launch

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 launches this week with a number of issues, Konami has said. Post-launch updates are planned to address them.

What a sales pitch!

Let’s start with the bonus content for the Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge NES ports. In the bonus content videos, the timing of some subtitles doesn’t match up with the audio. Konami said it’s planning a patch that will correct the timing. A post-launch patch is planned to add a number of visual options in the games, including a CRT scanline filter and the ability to change the pixel aspect ratio.
Moving on to the MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, a future patch will add the ability to switch between windowed and full-screen mode from the options menu in the title screen.

Across Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3, bug fixes are also planned Specifically on MGS 2, Konami warned the game may significantly slow down in certain cutscenes, which sounds worrying. A patch to reduce processing load is planned.

There’s also a slight delay to the timing for a certain visual effect, with a patch to correct it to match the original game due out at some point. And finally, switching between windowed and fullscreen mode from the options menu on the title screen is planned for a future update.

Specifically on MGS3, there are typos in the subtitles for the original England, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain (EFIGS) EU versions. The timing for a scene and background music to trigger in a certain cutscene is slightly different from the original game, too. A patch to sort all this out, alongside the, yes, you guessed it, ability to switch between windowed and full-screen mode, is planned.

I am pretty sure I played MGS and MGS 2 on PC. Not going to indulge in those. Wanted to play Snake Eater but not at 1080 P. They can suck it. Anyways, I never finished MGS V.

The games were released with mouse & keyboard support, but it seems to be limited. You also need to limit your FPS to 59/60 FPS to prevent them from running too fast.

Back