messed up partitions

i have an 80gb western digital special edition harddrive. i had about 30gb taken up and i wanted to add a 2nd partition, e:, which would be another 30gb. i used partition magic 8 to create a partition, and restarted to see if itd work. it booted fine and went into the partition magic screen where it said it was resizing the c: partition. it froze at about 10% complete so i restarted. now, after the windows xp home boot screen appears, the computer reboots. i cant get into windows through safe mode or anything.

what did i do wrong? is there anyway i can recover my files and actually boot into windows? help is appreciated!

get another drive and load xp on it and of course make it the first boot device. Once you are up and running shut down cold and unplug your machine. take your f(*& up drive and either slave it to that one or even better put it on its own channel.

Boot up and use the xp drive to search the old drive for any recoverable data you might need then use xp mass storage manager to clean her up and create new partitions on it.

Up side is you may recover your data , down side is you wont recover your applications and you have spent money on another drive. IT is worth a shot?

Actually, it was helpful. If your PC rebooted during the resizing of your system partition....it could mean a loss of data. Throw the HDD in a second machine as a slave, and see if you can get your data off it. If not, you might be toast.

You should be able to by just booting of your xp cd and selecting advanced install

You will get a gui that shows your volume information and you wil be able create partions from there. PArtition magic is very powerful so if the drive is screwed you will know it from looking at it from the XP GUI

i took my 80gb WD out of my case and brought it down to this computer, an old gateway, p3 550mhz + 256mb ram + win98se. i plugged it in and BIOS recognizes it. the only place i can see it in the bios is where i choose what harddrive to boot from. but obviously, i dont want to boot from it. but by seeing it, i know that its plugged in correctly. however, when i get into windows, the harddrive doesnt come up. i have my c: drive, cd-rom, cd burner, and my floppy drive. nothing more. what should i do to have windows recognize it?

got some help off another board...a guy was in the same situation. i ran chkdsk off the winxp cd and it worked fine. thanks for your help guys!

wow great tip!

the same problem you had happened to me one time. what i did was i used a linux live boot cd and copied all the data to another drive.

Windows 98 cannot read an NTFS partition, so of course it won't recognize it if your 80GB is formatted NTFS

Back