Memtest86 Version 3.5

LostStorm

Gawd
Has anyone try the new Memtest 3.5
Memtest86 3.5

What’s new in this release:

* Limited support for execution with multiple CPUs. CPUs are selected round-robin or sequential for each test.
* Support for detection of additional chipsets. (from Memtest86+ v2.11)
* Additions and corrections for CPU detection including reporting of L3 cache.
* Reworked information display for better readability and new information.
* Abbreviated iterations for first pass.
* Enhancements to memory sizing.
* Misc bug fixes.

What is the ideal test duration to ensure a good memory module?

Didn't work for me. It either froze or simply stopped working after a short time. 3.4 and the latest version of + worked fine though.

What is the ideal test duration to ensure a good memory module?

There's no hard set in stone answer, but I think most would agree that 2-3 complete cycles at your rated testing speed should be adequate. 1st cycle generally gets the RAM up to operating temps, the 2nd would probably catch errors if they exist at that point, 3rd is somewhat optional.

I do 2 cycles complete if I feel a need to test RAM. More often than not, if the RAM is defective at all, you're going to know it in a few seconds after starting Memtest as you'll be seeing red nearly instantly. :)

There's no hard set in stone answer, but I think most would agree that 2-3 complete cycles at your rated testing speed should be adequate. 1st cycle generally gets the RAM up to operating temps, the 2nd would probably catch errors if they exist at that point, 3rd is somewhat optional.

I do 2 cycles complete if I feel a need to test RAM. More often than not, if the RAM is defective at all, you're going to know it in a few seconds after starting Memtest as you'll be seeing red nearly instantly. :)
That's it? That's a matter of maybe an hour or two. Thank god I thought it requires days and whatnot.

I ran the test on individual sticks for my DDR3 i7 memory, no errors for each individual sticks. When I put all 3 sticks together I get 23 errors and the program freezes, what would explain this?

Well there are some hardcore (note I don't say [H]ardcore here, it's an important distinction) people that simply say if you run Memtest or any type of memory test for less than 12-16 hours the results are meaningless and that's just sheer lunacy. [H]ardcore people are intelligent enough to know "Ok, that's enough, it fucking works, I don't need to waste a day continually testing this shit, it's fine..." so that's the distinction. :)

There's testing, then there's testing... and yes, there is a difference.

As for the single sticks being fine and the multiple sticks being problematic, I would then look at the mobo as the cause, perhaps an issue with the chipset. If single sticks test fine, then I'd say double 'em up and pair 'em off for testing. If this is DDR3 with 3 sticks required, I couldn't say where to go with that one...

I just finished using 3.5. My friend was having a lot of blue screen errors so he bought new RAM. He offered to sell me his old 4x1GB sticks but I said I would test them first. 2 of four failed on the first cycle, 1 wouldn't even boot, and one passed. I tried them all individually. I guess I will only be buying the one stick off of him.

Both free. For a long time the + was ahead of the original, and it seems now the original is borrowing fixes the + implemented :p

I thought the non + Memtest86 was no longer being supported. Guess not. I use Memtest86+ with Slax boot flash drive.

Back