Memtest failing number 5

jhinck1414

Limp Gawd
I have searched without any success, but what does it mean when it doesn't past number 5? Do i need to manually set the timing even if bios detects the correct speeds?

This is a new build using:

Mobo/Video: MSI 890gxm-G65
PSU: antec 500 watt
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=gskill_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-193-_-Product

set to work at:
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 9
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.5V

It has 32 errors just 15 minutes into it.

Please Help.

Could be voltage. Personally, I just ended up coming to the conclusion that my sticks were bad and got new ones through an RMA. Similar issue for me with an 890GX board (Asus). New sticks worked perfectly.

Give it a notch .5 or .1v above spec and see if that corrects it. It could be multiple things actually.

so i just noticed something. Now running memtest86+ v4.00 on each stick of ram on each slot.

What i have noticed is that the settings for the ram in memtest are not consistant on my second ram slot.

the CAS is reading when testing 1 stick at a time:

1st stick in dimm1: 9-9-9-24
2nd stick in dimm2: 9-9-9-24

1st stick in dimm2: 9-11-9-32 (dont remember what it said)
2nd stick in dimm2: 9-11-11-29 (also is showing up as DDR400 - 200hz)

Could this mean the Mobo is bad? or should i ignore what Memtest is telling me?

future development, Just ran a full test with slots 1 and 3 used and had zero errors. Other than the ram settings say 9-11-11-29.

Could this be a faulty dimm slot 2 on the Mobo at this point?

Definitely or something to do with the chipset most likely.

With the memory controller on the CPU, the chipset isn't as big of a deal. You could see if there's a bios update to enhance memory compatibility.

Honestly, I've seen this before with my own setup. Sometimes it passed memtest, sometimes it wouldn't in all different slots. I RMA'd the board and had the same issue, and I sent back 1 of my 2 memory kits and now it works perfectly. My experience would say it's the memory, not the board. I had tested all sticks individually in each RAM slot also and they all passed.

now i just updated the BIOS and is showing the right speeds but now less memory.

since i am using onboard video, i thought it would use 384 mb, but it is using 512.

With the memory controller on the CPU, the chipset isn't as big of a deal. You could see if there's a bios update to enhance memory compatibility.

Honestly, I've seen this before with my own setup. Sometimes it passed memtest, sometimes it wouldn't in all different slots. I RMA'd the board and had the same issue, and I sent back 1 of my 2 memory kits and now it works perfectly. My experience would say it's the memory, not the board. I had tested all sticks individually in each RAM slot also and they all passed.

Eh not really. I remember quite well that athlons with the memory controller on the cpu were very finicky.

I wouldn't personally, because you'll probably just run into similar issues with a new CPU if all the other parts are the same.

I wouldn't personally, because you'll probably just run into similar issues with a new CPU if all the other parts are the same.

i ended up swapping mobo with frys since i was within the 15 days return/exchange, re ran all tests and is working like a champ.

Back