Memtest and Windows memory diagnostic test conflict

How odd is it to have memory pass several passes of memtest but then fail windows memory diagnostic test?

If you are testing for bad RAM, I would not trust any OS based memory tester. Stability testing in the OS of course is different matter.

Are you actually having issues?

I had been getting the "driver has stopped responding error" video issue in Vista for the past couple of weeks, it would just randomly happen when doing any kind of task in Vista.

I have tried drivers, improve cooling and others options to no avail. The only thing that has prevented this error from happening so far is from underclocking my ram which was running at stock settings.

I then ran memtest to see if it would detect any issues and after three passes it did not. The next day I decided to run Windows memory diagnostic test from the Vista boot menu and it said it found an issue, but it does not show specifics.

hmm what if you looped test5 in memtest. honestly, i've always ran into issues quicker and more reliably with memtest than the vista memory diagnostic. that said, while i'd look to memtest first, if vista has an error, then it's still an error. due to the nature of the vista tester though, I'd possibly suspect it might not be directly a ram fault but maybe mch issue or something along those lines

Back