Memory Upgrade

I have 8gb in an aluminum unibody macbook that I am about to give to my sister since I upgraded to a new 13inch pro. The pro has only 4gb. Should I bother to switch out the ram or would you recommend sticking with 4gb of the 1333 over the 8gb of 1066? I dont do anything very ram intensive, the most stress I would put on it would be running 2 vms at once which would be a very rare occasion.

I run VM's do video editing and photo editing (on large projects) so I feel it when I hit the limits. If you don't feel that you maxing out the 4GB then 8GB would be a waste. Between trying to do labs on multiple VM's, working on iMovie, CS5, and so forth I've maxed things out a couple of times.

how would a mac feel about having a stick of 1066 and a stick of 1333? Would it under clock the 1333 to match the 1066?

I think so, but can't say for sure. I'm still new to the Mac scene. I've never known it to be a good idea to mix/match memory. I match all sticks and tend to just buy memory kits. If I add memory then it has to be the same brand/spec/model number for me to just "add" memory.

Thanks
The upgrade was successful and so far so good. One thing I can say is that you have to be careful putting the screws back in. They go in at an angle in order to rest flush. Other than that it was simple as could be.

Back