Memory Timing Question

Nybbles

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I've been wanting to get some good memory for a while. I recently got a 2500+ Barton and would like to see about taking it up to a 200 FSB. So that means the PC2700 memory has gotta go. I was originally looking for 3500, but some good 3200 should be sufficient.

Anyway, so I'm wondering what the difference in performance will be between RAM that is rated at 2-2-2 and RAM that is rated at 2-3-2.

The reason is that I can get 2x256 of Mushkin Level II for $150 on newegg, OR I can get 2x512 of Mushkin Level I for only $50 more.

So how much of a descrease in performance does anyone except I'd see by going to 2-3-2?

EDIT: Other people are telling me that running daul-channel on an NForce2 is kinda a waste because the performance increase is very small. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Originally posted by Nybbles
Hey, I've been wanting to get some good memory for a while. I recently got a 2500+ Barton and would like to see about taking it up to a 200 FSB. So that means the PC2700 memory has gotta go. I was originally looking for 3500, but some good 3200 should be sufficient.

Anyway, so I'm wondering what the difference in performance will be between RAM that is rated at 2-2-2 and RAM that is rated at 2-3-2.

The reason is that I can get 2x256 of Mushkin Level II for $150 on newegg, OR I can get 2x512 of Mushkin Level I for only $50 more.

So how much of a descrease in performance does anyone except I'd see by going to 2-3-2?

EDIT: Other people are telling me that running daul-channel on an NForce2 is kinda a waste because the performance increase is very small. Can someone confirm or deny this?

you most likely wont notice the difference between the two. and it is a strong possibility you will be able to get the mushkin stuff to run at 2-2-2 reguardless. 11-2-2-2 is the most effective timing for the nf2.

and yes, the dual channel on NF2 has an extremely modest performance gain. it was mainly intended for the integrated video.

I didnt notice a difference between 1 and 2 channel when I switched it on my Asus A7N8X-E Delux with my Corsair(specs in sig)

Dual Channel in the Athlon XP's don't really make much of a difference (just look at the benchmarks between Athlon XPs in the Dual-channel NF2 chipsets and Athlon XPs in Via KT chipsets (single channel only), negligible difference).
It's like a ~3% performance boost.

Back