Memory sticks at different speeds

Dfresh

Weaksauce
Has anyone ever tried running 2 sticks of DDR that have different speeds? From what I understand, it's theoretically possible. I've got 1 stick of 512MB PC2100 currently and want to add another 512 stick. Could I just buy a stick of PC2700 and pop it in to run at 266Mhz? My main board is the Asus A7V266. Thanks

You can put in what ever speed you like. As long as both sticks can run the same speed/timings there will be no problem. The pc2700 will drop to pc2100 speeds if that is what you have it set at in the bios

I've never seen a motherboard that will allow you to specifiy different speeds for different memory sticks. That would probably be immensely unstable if anyone ever tried it. If your going to mix memory speeds, whatever the slowest performer is, is what you'll be stuck at. Back in the day, you could run some PC100 memory at PC133 speeds, and it would be fine. I'm sure the same would apply for DDR, but if your PC2100 can't go any higher, than your PC2700 will be down at PC2100 speeds too.

Back