Memory pricing expected to increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's DDR4 pricing? I've got a couple 32GB 3200/3600 kits laying around I've been thinking of selling.

AMD is now saying they don’t expect their supply problems to go away till second half of 2021. Microsoft and Sony are making similar claims about their consoles.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.vid...issues-until-the-second-half-of-the-year/amp/

Toss this in with TSMC being “requested” to shift more resources towards their older larger processes for auto manufacturers and I really don’t like my chances for getting anything I wanted until 2022. :(

I'm glad that I got more RAM last black friday, i was expecting it to go up again.

I don't think there is any hope of this returning to normal in 2021 and the spoken projections from companies regarding normalcy this year are optimistic. In fact, I think these companies are going to take advantage of the extended increased price era we're in to readjust what "normal" is even further.

Maybe I'm just feeling abnormally pessimistic right now, but I feel like $700 "mid range GPUs" are here to stay as long as possible and it's going to take a strong sales shift and set of circumstances for that to correct itself.

It wasn't that long ago that a high tier low bin spinoff card would be released at the end of a series cycle for $250-300. Remember the 7900 GTO, 8800GT, etc? Maybe I'm just getting old and that was a really long time ago, but I'm just not sure I'm cut out to live in the land of the $1500 flagship GPU.

I don't think there is any hope of this returning to normal in 2021 and the spoken projections from companies regarding normalcy this year are optimistic. In fact, I think these companies are going to take advantage of the extended increased price era we're in to readjust what "normal" is even further.

Maybe I'm just feeling abnormally pessimistic right now, but I feel like $700 "mid range GPUs" are here to stay as long as possible and it's going to take a strong sales shift and set of circumstances for that to correct itself.

It wasn't that long ago that a high tier low bin spinoff card would be released at the end of a series cycle for $250-300. Remember the 7900 GTO, 8800GT, etc? Maybe I'm just getting old and that was a really long time ago, but I'm just not sure I'm cut out to live in the land of the $1500 flagship GPU.

You won't see a return to normal factory production plus consistent materials transit until the entire manufacturing world has yearly access tio a COVID Vaccine that covers all the variants (just like Flu vaccination does.)

were still about two years away from having that available

You won't see a return to normal factory production plus consistent materials transit until the entire manufacturing world has yearly access tio a COVID Vaccine that covers all the variants (just like Flu vaccination does.)

were still about two years away from having that available
Except every year, they push the flu vaccine, and then a few months later say its only 30% effective. COVID is just something we will need to learn to deal with IMO.

Except every year, they push the flu vaccine, and then a few months later say its only 30% effective. COVID is just something we will need to learn to deal with IMO.
Yep. There are already new strains of covid. It is not going anywhere and we going to have get vaccines for it every year like we do for the normal flu.

Well, to use a familiar saying...

It is what it is :D

All the behind-the-scenes plans/deals/manipulations etc etc that have or were put into place to make all of this crap happen are in full force now, so all the venting in the world aint gonna change that, so lets just move on to the next big, exciting topic of the day & be happy :)

I know it sux and alot of folks are miserable, but just sayin, the best thing we can do now is to look forward to better days ahead :)

It's been proven to reduce duration of sickness, even if you get it.

Flu vaccination has been shown in several studies to reduce severity of illness in people who get vaccinated but still get sick.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm#older-vaccinated

We are not hoping for 0% transmission here - we're hoping for low enough incidence you don't send 1/4 of your workforce out for 2-weeks forced isolation every holiday season. if the intensity is reduced, and you get a much lower rare of transmission, then it's safe once-again for workers to go in work sick without all the Covid-overhead (like they have been for decades, because we have had no major flu outbreaks).

FACT: the cost of vaccination is lost in the noise compared to the overhead of isolation plus nuking every work surface in-between shifts, plus dealing with the significantly decreased number of ships operating (nearly 1/3 of shipping was delivering tourist cargo and food, which is dead until we have a vaccine, and less ships available for tossing smaller deliveries onboard means more variable lead-time for part deliveries).

Last edited:
Great! More wonderful news *Sarcasm.* I do not foresee things getting any better. In fact, I foresee things getting a lot worse. With Covid-19, shortages, tariffs and high demand, I only see prices continuing to increase on various computer parts. These highs prices will likely become the new normal for the next few years if we are lucky. Seems like ALL of my hobbies have become too expensive these days. I would stock-up on parts, such as memory, NVMe SSD's, power supplies and a couple low-low-end graphics cards if I had the money to. Unfortunately, I have had Covid-19 for about a month now and it lingers around as viral pneumonia. I only had about 20 hours of paid time off to cover my time away from work. I am left wondering if I will have a job to go back to or if production will get shifted back to India. I kind of regret purchasing a really nice Z590 motherboard earlier this month. I thought in 10 to 14 days after catching Covid-19 that I would could go back to work. I was telling people last year that 2020 was only the tutorial level. The real game does not begin until 2021. Right now, we are just in the low levels.

Can we leave the facebook chatter out of hardforum. if you take even highschool biology im pretty sure you learn that not all viruses are the same. So far the Pfizer vaccine appears to handle all of the variants.

masks work
vaccines work (some better than others)
the flu has a segmented genome that undergoes reassortment unlike other viruses

ffs

Can we leave the facebook chatter out of hardforum. if you take even highschool biology im pretty sure you learn that not all viruses are the same. So far the Pfizer vaccine appears to handle all of the variants.

masks work
vaccines work (some better than others)
the flu has a segmented genome that undergoes reassortment unlike other viruses

ffs
Since the pfizer vaccine works so well, we can unmask after getting it and go back to normal life. Or do we have to wear 3+ masks because it is so effective?

On that note, perhaps now is a good time to look for some RAM for future builds/upgrades - before the prices go back to being piss poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back