Memory Prices

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
I was curious to know if anyone has any idea when the memory prices will stop inflating. It's been going on for a year or more now and it's incredibly painful on the wallet. Even PC133 is spendy as hell and nobody even uses it anymore.

What gives? discuss....

Qtip42 said:
I was curious to know if anyone has any idea when the memory prices will stop inflating. It's been going on for a year or more now and it's incredibly painful on the wallet. Even PC133 is spendy as hell and nobody even uses it anymore.

What gives? discuss....
If i'm not mistaken the prices have already begun to drop. These things are traded on the spot market and if we were able to predict future prices, we would all be millionaires ;)

yep, I think that they have started to go back down again a little bit.... well some. The Mushkin 1 GB dual pack 2-2-2 is like 350 bucks :eek:

march 5th of 03 i bought the ram i have in my sig (twinx3200LLPT)
i payed $177 (free second day shipping from googlegear w00t!)

it now costs $185 at newegg (check today) damn....
over a year later, for the EXACT SAME FREAKING RAM!

me prays for a drop in ram prices....
i do beilve they have dropped a little, but now much...

Qtip42 said:

What gives? discuss....

a year? umm, no

maybe the last few months or so.

I bought a 2x512MB kit of PC3000 Hyper-X for $184 no more than 2 months ago

and a 512MB stick of PC3200 Geil for $77 around then too

Qtip42 said:

What gives? discuss....
PC133 is going to get worse before it gets better, due to limited demand and even more limited production.

As far as DDR-SDRAM pricing .....my magic 8-ball says "unknown". Pretty simple supply and demand at work here. Got to wonder if the memory IC folks are a little nervous about DDR-2 and are reluctant to have huge inventories around.....??

FWIW - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
PC133 is going to get worse before it gets better, due to limited demand and even more limited production.

As far as DDR-SDRAM pricing .....my magic 8-ball says "unknown". Pretty simple supply and demand at work here. Got to wonder if the memory IC folks are a little nervous about DDR-2 and are reluctant to have huge inventories around.....??

FWIW - B.B.S.
maybe so, but I don't see why, DDR2 will be so expensive... to me, I'll be sticking with DDR1 spec sticks for a while.

well ddr spot prices are falling some, ddr manufacturer's are holding back on supply hence keeping prices high

doesn't help in Australia as our Aussie dollar is falling against other currencies which further compounds ram and pc hardware prices in OZ.. could be same in other countries

I bought my memory at this date past year and it costed me 33usd each 256Mb dimm...wish those prices come back :(

Qtip42 said:

What gives? discuss....

Ask Martha Stewart!

I bought 2 sticks of Geil Golden Dragon RAM from newegg.com in February of this year. Each stick is 512 MB, and it cost me $87 dollars a stick. The same RAM from newegg.com today is $134/stick. A few weeks ago it was $135/stick. The Geil Value Series RAM (512MB) now costs about the same amount as before, maybe a change of a couple dollars. I am hoping that the prices will go down if I get a job this summer :).

You beat me to it, I was about to make the same statement about the golden dragon ram, I should have bought that extra 512mb I want back when it was affordable.

I bought the RAM in my sig for 73 bucks off of newegg in February. I last checked a few weeks ago and it was 95 bucks!

superjohnny said:
Anyone remember when 256MB of Micron PC2100 cost $32?

Ahhh the good old days...

I remember when I bought 3 sticks of 512MB PC133 from Staples for a net cost of about $-20 (yes, the number is negative, as I got back more than I spent after rebates). Good old days indeed.

The sooner the better cause I am ready to build a new system and every $$$ helps

I wish we got rebates in the uk. When I went to the states, I was amazed at the fact that I could get free :eek: free cd-rs. We just don't see that kinda stuff here :mad: Here it's £150 I think for two matched 512mb Crucial DDR PC3200 Dimms, which comes out at $270 I think, which is extortionate I think

lol hey if any of you guys are looking for pc133 talk to me, i have tons that i can let go cheap.

catch me on AIM as Mizugori or drop an email to [email protected] or pm if you like

just mentioning it.

All I got to say is Ebay!!! Just bought a gig of kingston hyperx ddr 500 memory for $248 including shipping and handling and insurance. If I bought that off of zipzoomfly it would have came to $355 and at one of these local computer stores around where I live easily over $400.

So I guess you can sit there and hope memory prices will drop (dont wait to long lol) or you can try buying it from places like ebay or off of a trusted friend

just my 2cents

Check out this order I made back in May:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Order Grand Total: $92.49
Order Summary:
Shipping Details: SimpleTech Direct Store
Have questions about this order? Please contact the seller..
Order #: ########################
Shipping Method: Standard Shipping
Subtotal of Items: $96.50
Shipping & Handling: $5.99
------
Total: $102.49
Gift Certificates: - $10.00
------
Total for this Order: $92.49

Shipping estimate for these items: May 26, 2004 1 "SimpleTech STM5037A/2GB 2GB PC2100 DDR 184pin DIMM"
Electronics; $29.50

2 "SimpleTech DELL PRECISION 360 2GB ( STD2780/2GB )"
Electronics; $33.50

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It got canceled as a price mistake, but it certainly was worth a try.

taken from april

In the past month, prices for the older DDR technology have soared: 256-megabit DDR chips went from $4 in the first week of March to $6 this week. Part of the reason is that PC makers have increased their orders to insulate themselves from fears of shortages later this year, said Nam Hyung Kim, principal analyst at iSuppli.

zdnet article

Back