Memory prices

matt_to_the_max

Limp Gawd
Why has DDR2 gone up in price so much? I think I paid $40 for 2x2gb of PC28500 memory. I see comparable kits going for $100 or more. Is it just supply and demand?
Thanks,
Matt

If I remember right, a bunch of factories in asia went belly up when the economy took a crap. There was excess supply of ram at the time which was sold at cost or a loss by various vendors/distributors. Now demand has rebounded a bit and supply is struggling to catch up. While this is going on, the vendors/distributors/manufacturers are trying to recoup some of their losses from the last 18 months. Thus, yes, supply/demand for the most part.

Was lucky to buy a 4GB kit from Frys for $64.99 (Patriot 1066) last week -- it wasn't published anywhere -- came up while checking for the cheapest one they had, guess they were just trying to clear them out.

Meh, I'm glad I bought memory when it was cheap. I recently bought an OCZ 4GB DDR2-800 kit for $65 and it is not $100... That RAM went up literally overnight because the day after I got it in the mail, it was $100.

I bought my 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 kit for $90 back in March. Now it's $140.

I bought 2x2gb of crucial ddr3 about 2 months ago for $72, checked the other day and now its at $88

I was lucky enough to snag some OCZ 4gb Reaper PC2-8500 from a guy on the forums for $65 this week. Can't wait to pop them in and give them a go :).

About 3 months ago I bought 2x2Gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400 for 37 euros, now it's 88 euros!!

So, when will DDR3 prices drop by say 25%? ;)

give it time. as DDR2 gets phased out DDR3 will drop. DDR2 didnt hit rock bottom prices overnight. although i doubt we will see 4gb kits for <35 bucks again. if i recall correctly, the RAM companies had a very hard time turning a profit last year (im not even sure if they made profits to be honest), and a big portion was attributed to the price of DDR2 being so low. i think the memory makers learned their lesson about flooding the market and will produce on par with demand for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
i think the memory makers learned their lesson about flooding the market and will produce on par with demand for the foreseeable future.

This, most likely. I bet we see memory prices drop, but to about $65-70 for 4GB kits of DDR2, followed by the same price range for DDR3 shortly after.

it would be nice if DDR2 would drop in price. i want some 4gb sticks until i can afford a new rig

I got a 4GB Kingston kit last year for about $50. Since then, the price has gone up and I had to RMA it. Luckily it's cheaper than buying new RAM. But I do have to RMA it again because it won't run at advertised speeds and it causes lockups.

The 2x3 DDR3 2000 gskill ram I was looking to buy was $139.99 just about a month ago and today it's $199.99 the price is really putting me off. Will the price go back to atleast $150 say around christmas time?

The 2x3 DDR3 2000 gskill ram I was looking to buy was $139.99 just about a month ago and today it's $199.99 the price is really putting me off. Will the price go back to atleast $150 say around christmas time?

Only time will tell.

I think the lowest it dipped for good quality RAM was like $10 a gig. Not so much anymore lol

I doubt it. No indication that it should fall; at least not that soon.

I think the lowest it dipped for good quality RAM was like $10 a gig. Not so much anymore lol

DirectCanada had 1/2GB sticks of Crucial Renditions for 7/14$ back then..still got 2 sticks of each lying around. I remember adding them when I needed to bump the price to get free shipping.

What I do regret is not buying DIMMS..they were about the same price.

Back