Media Server Streaming Software (DLNA)

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
So, I am in the market for new software to stream to my Samsung smart TV. I currently use Allshare, but it's becoming unstable, and the server crashes or loses connection a lot.

I have heard a lot of noise about Plex, but it looks like it's all hosted online, which, no.

The next one that I have seen a lot about is Serviio, but that Java based. Shit.

So anyway, what software do you guys use for streaming from a desktop to your TV?

Needs to be hosted locally and no Java shit.

Plex Media server you run on a PC in your network. I have it but don't use DLNA feature. I have clients on all my PC that i use to watch movies/shows on the TVs with plex.

You can access your content from my.plex.tv login but you don't have too.

x2

It gives you the ability to watch content, from your media server, via the web... but it's certainly not something you have to do (although, it's a great feature IMO).

Love the flexability that Plex offers. It runs on almost everything and with DLNA, even if it doesn't support Plex natively, then it's still usable

I use plex and run the server from my main rig that stays on most of the time. I then have chromecasts stuck in all the TV's in the house, plus one in my home theater receiver, (for those occasions I want full surround). It works well for us but I only have like 2TB of movies so far, but the library is growing...

Fuck Plex. It insists on accessing the internet. It's been uninstalled.

What else is there?

What else is there?

could of skipped the entire setup for all it cares.... patient is a virtue.

tried Serviio as you suggested in opening post?

What else is there?

So your planning on doing all your own tagging and metadata or just aren't worried about it?

I think PS3 Media Server will just create thumbnails from the video file and you can configure it not to go out to Amazon or discog for you audio files.

Ya, I don't give two shits about metadata.

I installed XBMC last night, and it does pretty well. My only two complaints with it is that it can't minimize to the tray, and it seems to block my screensaver from starting.

Ya, I don't give two shits about metadata.

I installed XBMC last night, and it does pretty well. My only two complaints with it is that it can't minimize to the tray, and it seems to block my screensaver from starting.

You could just dump it into a VM and run it on top of Linux. Set it and forget it.

You could just dump it into a VM and run it on top of Linux. Set it and forget it.

I just plopped a shortcut to the screensaver to my desktop and force it to run when I turn XBMC on. I might dig into the issue sometime, I dunno, it's not too bad.

Back