MCW60-4870 works with 5870

oxy4bf2

Weaksauce
I was a bit worried about the compatibility of my MCW60-4870 GPU cooler because someone over at overclockers.net posted that the MCW60 itself works, but not the heatpipe attachment that cools the VRMs (http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/586298-hd-5870-mcw60-4870-a.html). Fortunately, that's not the case.

The heatpipe itself can be pulled out of the VRM cooling block. This means the block can be oriented in two different ways depending on which end goes onto the heatpipe first. Since the block is not symmetrical, depending on which end goes first onto the heatpipe, you save about 1-2mm of space toward the end facing away from the GPU and RAM, just enough to clear the capacitor that the guy over at overclock.net was having troubles with.

Interesting. I was thinking of waiting to WC my GPUs until I got rid of my 4890s but if I can move the blocks to the next gen of cards it might not be a bad deal. Did you use any kind of thermal compound when you slid the heatpipe back into the VRM block?

Yeah, I used some Arctic Silver Ceramique - it's non-conductive just in case the VRMs are exposed to it - at the end of the heatpipe and let it coat the whole thing as I pushed it into the block. I also put the thermal paste on the VRMs. They're small, so I just scraped a really small amount onto each one.

Last edited:
Btw, the 5870 runs even cooler than my 4890. After 1 hr of the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta, the HD5870 peaked at 44C. I'm only running a 240 Swiftech rad with an OCed Phenom x3 and 5870 in the same loop. My fans spin at 950 rpm, inaudible against my monitor's capacitor whine. This level of cooling and silence is impossible with air in my Grandia GD04 HTPC case.

Proof:
PCScreen.png

Back