MC i7

puphus

Limp Gawd
Made my way to Denver for work and picked up a i7 920 at Microcenter for $199. After much debate, I decided to pull the trigger. This should jumpstart my build, that I've been considering for about a year. Now I need a mobo. I game, want crossfire/sli as an option, and want to overclock. Any suggestions? Should I hold off for the x58 refresh w/ new usb and sata tech? Thanks for the help.

I just purchased one myself today at microcenter......what was the batch # on yours? I posted another thread showing my stuff off if you want to check it out. I'm pretty excited about my new build here's my specs...i did a lot of research and found the stuff I got at the right price.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1465703

Most X58 mobos, except the cheapest ones, have SLI support, and no X58 board I know of doesn't have CF support. It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

Please answer the questions in the sticky thread... the one that says ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST if you're posting a build thread... blah blah blah... ;)

Without knowing your budget, it's hard to recommend a motherboard...

Off the top of my head, some I would look at:
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
ASUS P6T SE
ASUS P6T
EVGA 3X SLI

The P6T SE is out, because it doesn't have SLI. But the P6T is a pretty decent, fairly priced motherboard.

Well, I pulled the trigger on these:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 & G. Skill 3x2GB 1600 (1.5v) combo deal
Sapphire 5870 (score!)
True Spirit with bolt-thru retention bracket
... and the rest... less exciting for most anyone other than me.

I did not go through the whole sticky thread questions as I've done it several times before without making a decision. Most of my question were easily answered understanding my needs/wants and by reading previous threads. Thanks to all the regulars, Danny Bui, Tiraides, lt shiro, Enginurd, & PC-User. Your many threads throughout these boards provided the bulk of the information I needed to make my decision.

Of course I'll post a photo or two when I get it all together.

tracer I just purchased one myself today at microcenter......what was the batch # on yours? I posted another thread showing my stuff off if you want to check it out. I'm pretty excited about my new build here's my specs...i did a lot of research and found the stuff I got at the right price.

My batch # is 3918A495. Don't know anything about this batch, but I'm hoping to just get to 3.8GHz stable and I'll be happy. I'll post my OC results when I have them.

My batch # is 3918A495. Don't know anything about this batch, but I'm hoping to just get to 3.8GHz stable and I'll be happy. I'll post my OC results when I have them.

What is the S-Spec. Based on the batch, it's most likely a D0. If you search the forums, you might be able to find a rough estimate of what overclocks others with similar batches (3918A) are getting.

S-Spec is SLBEJ and I believe that is D0 stepping. It was manufactured on 9.23.2009 so it must be. Thay don't make C0s anymore, right? I'll hunt around for 3918A results. Thanks!

Back