Maze4 GPU Will NOT fit on my X1800XT!! WTF?

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Unbelieveable. Finally get all my parts in on Friday. Test bench the system on air out of the case and all is fine. Start building the loop today. Well, the Storm block gets bolted on to to mobo so I'll have to mount that in the case to get the right lengths. Ok. Now on to removing the behemouth cooler on the ASUS X1800XT (thanks Pablo!!) and then I go to put the Maze4 GPU on.

Now, I bought this a while back and it was designed to fit the 9800 series video cards. It ALSO fit my Sapphire X800XT nicely. Now the X1800 has four holes, and none of the holes on the back of my MAZE4 work. My build is being held up because of this now.

Now, on Danger Den I see they have a mounting kit for the X1800 and Geforce series, but I can't figure out how in the world it would screw into the back of this block, since the holes are not aligned. Is there some adapter that snaps on the back of the Maze4 givng me the right holes??? Or do I have to now blow a bunch more money on a new Maze4???

Anyone?? Help? Please?

Thanks

I take it the maze4gpu block you have is the older style with the aluminum top? If so, you can just order an updated top for the maze4gpu and the X1800 installation kit from DangerDen. Here are some links...
Acetal Maze4gpu top:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=202&cat=43&page=1
Brass Maze4gpu top:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=165&cat=43&page=1
Chrome Maze4gpu top:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=167&cat=43&page=1
X1800 install kit:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=202&cat=43&page=1

While your at it, I would also recommend getting a new o-ring for the Maze4gpu:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=118&cat=43&page=1

I don't think the top is the problem. AFIAK, on the older Maze4, it doesnt even have threads on the base of the block to line up with the 6/7x00 / X1x00 mounting holes. Unfortunitly, that means a whole new block :(

you need a new block, unfortunately.

the maze 4 intended for use wtih cards with 2 hole retention won't mount onto new cards unless you are willing to drill and tap them yourself.

i'm probably going to have to deal with that myself come summer.

The allthread for the 6800 up series doesn't pass through the base of the block. It goes straight into the delrin of the top really close to the base but not through it.

Buying a new delrin top will do him just fine.

madmat said:
The allthread for the 6800 up series doesn't pass through the base of the block. It goes straight into the delrin of the top really close to the base but not through it.

Buying a new delrin top will do him just fine.

I havent had a maze 4 for a good couple months, but as I remember it, it screwed into the base :confused:

The maze 4 you need is the 4 whole type . Simple get the ones designed for the nv 7800 they fit right on. I have installed lots of them. Good luck

Viper87227 said:
I havent had a maze 4 for a good couple months, but as I remember it, it screwed into the base :confused:

I built an SLI rig for a guy in FLA in december and I remember cussing the block because the allthread kept getting cross-threaded in the delrin. If it threaded into the base this would not have been a problem.

From the Danger Den website:

The Acetal MAZE4 series was designed to provide a light weight high perfomance solution for any setup.

Includes:

* Acetal Top
* Total weight approximately 2oz (57 grams)
* High Flow 1/2" or 3/8" OD Fittings
* Low flow restriction low pressure drop
* Stainless Steel Hold Down

Compatibility ATI:

* Compatibility ATI: Most Radeon Series blocks (9500, 9600, 9800, and X800 series) with the two hole mounted fans. Excludes the All-In-Wonders at this time

Compatibility Nvidia:

* *NEW* support for the 6800 series and support for the "4" series on up to 59XXFX. Holes are available for the GeForce 2 and 3 series and should work also.
* The 6800 series uses the 4 bolt hold down style versus the standard two bolt pattern of previous cards.

Thanks guys. Looks like a new top and hold down kit. So, when I take the old top off and the sticker that says "Warranty voided if removed", I guess I'm SOL huh?

Also, and most important, I've never taken apart my blocks before. What do I do? I am assuming there is a gasket in there to prevent leaking,... should I get a new gasket also?
What's the chance of this thing leaking after swapping ops? Does the top need to be torqued down to some specific pressure?

Sell your old maze 4 and buy the one that fits your card . Its your money. But do the smart thing.

the blocks use an O-ring to seal. cheap and available, either from DD or the hardware store.

i guess that saving $20 by getting the new top instead of a whole new block is worth it........it's not a lot of work if you have the allen keys handy.

I guess I'll just get a new block altogether, and sell the old one. I'm sure someone would snag it up in the FS/T forums.

I am assuming of course that it will come with all the mounting hardware and backplate.

Back