Max Payne 1 to 2, difficulty ROFL

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
I just finished the original Max Payne a few hours ago and started playing number 2, and all I can say is:

DAMN!!!!!

The difficulty of the second game is a joke compared to the first one. In Max Payne 1 you have to quick save constantly. Your enemies, the moment they see you they shoot to kill with deadly precision. One shotgun blast from close range and you're done. Three bullets from the M4A1 and you're dead. Another thing, bullet time in MP2 actually recharges, if you run out you just wait one minute and there you go, full bar. In MP when you run out of bullet time you have to line up headshots by yourself until you earn more bullet time.

Max Payne 2 is so easy that right now I'm trying to find out how to unlock Hard Boiled so it will be a little bit challenging. Right now I'm breezing through it.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing coming from Max Payne 1 to 2?

Last edited:
Yes. I noticed that 45 years ago when I played these games. Hard Boiled is pretty nice, though.

I just finished the original Max Payne a few hours ago and started playing number 2, and all I can say is:

DAMN!!!!!

The difficulty of the second game is a joke compared to the first one. In Max Payne 1 you have to quick save constantly. Your enemies, the moment they see you they shoot to kill with deadly precision. One shotgun blast from close range and you're done. Three bullets from the M4A1 and you're dead. Another thing, bullet time in MP2 actually recharges, if you run out you just wait one minute and there you go, full bar. In MP when you run out of bullet time you have to line up headshots by yourself until you earn more bullet time.

Max Payne 2 is so easy that right now I'm trying to find out how to unlock Hard Boiled so it will be a little bit challenging. Right now I'm breezing through it.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing coming from Max Payne 1 to 2?

I found it pretty challenging to play once you unlock the hardest difficulty....which in turn gives you the best ending :)

Yes. I noticed that 45 years ago when I played these games. Hard Boiled is pretty nice, though.

I remember those days like they were 2001...
Does max payne look a bit like Johnny Knoxville in the first one, or is it just me?
MP1 was harder than MP2, that much is for sure. You can search here and see how many people were upset by that....
Almost as many that were upset by the direction MP3 took.

So guys, just started Chapter 2 on Medium (hard boiled) and I have full health, 8 painkillers, and full ammo with pistol, magnum, SMG, and shotgun. I'm still surprised at how easy this game is compared to the first one. I think hard in MP2 is the same as easy in MP1.

I found it pretty challenging to play once you unlock the hardest difficulty....which in turn gives you the best ending :)

Thank you. If I had known earlier maybe I would have started with Hard (dead on arrival). Now I'm on Chapter 2 and IDK if I wanna do 5 levels all over again.

Thank you. If I had known earlier maybe I would have started with Hard (dead on arrival). Now I'm on Chapter 2 and IDK if I wanna do 5 levels all over again.

You unlock the hardest difficulty on your first playthrough no matter what you played it on I believe. Once you do that you play through the entire game on the unlocked difficulty which gives you the better (best IMHO) ending. I think it's called Dead on Arrival and is grayed out when you start a new game...it's been a while though.

Last edited:
If you like the older Max Payne games, try Jon Woo's Stranglehold. It's a video game sequel to the movie Hard Boiled. Gameplay is similar right down to bullet time and pain killers. It starts off pretty easy, but the later levels are definitely tougher. It came out back in 2007, but still looks pretty decent these days.
While Max Payne 3 is certainly graphically superior - I think Stranglehold was a better game.

If you like the older Max Payne games, try Jon Woo's Stranglehold. It's a video game sequel to the movie Hard Boiled. Gameplay is similar right down to bullet time and pain killers. It starts off pretty easy, but the later levels are definitely tougher. It came out back in 2007, but still looks pretty decent these days.
While Max Payne 3 is certainly graphically superior - I think Stranglehold was a better game.

Thanks for telling me about this Domingo, I'm playing it right now and everything you said is true (besides the MP3 part which I don't know). Very fun game. I heard they're making a sequal, looking forward to it.

EDIT I was wrong Midway went bankrupt in 2009 so the game was canned, sadly.

Last edited:
going to have to try stranglehold.. hopefully its good, part of the joy of maxpayne was the noir type story..

Big difference I remember is that bullet time almost always seemed available for like every MP2 fight. In MP1 you often were without it making it more difficult.

Such awesome games. Are you playing them on Steam/Win7? Someone in another thread said that the MP games were a pain to get running these days. I don't remember having problems last time I played through them a few years ago.

Such awesome games. Are you playing them on Steam/Win7? Someone in another thread said that the MP games were a pain to get running these days. I don't remember having problems last time I played through them a few years ago.

Yes, I am playing on Steam and Win7. For MP1 I had to do this. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215

Also you can't play either of the games in widescreen resolutions because things get stretched out of proportion. 4:3 resolutions only. Besides that they're great fun, MP1 is one of the only games that I'm playing through twice because it was so fun (and hard).

But nothing can beat F5 (quick save). :)

Back