Mass Effect: Andromeda

short of the janky-ass animations and figuring out how to get my friends on my team in multiplayer, the game has been bug free and stable for me.

That's a weird way of saying whatever it is they were trying to say.

it's like those new trailers for movie trailers that are all the rage now...this is BioWare's announcement of an announcement...but I do think it's nice that they are keeping players in the loop...remaining silent for another week probably wouldn't have looked good and they want to avoid any No Man's Sky type of radio silence controversy

between the shitstorm from Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda, I wouldn't fault any devs for not wanting to touch Mass Effect anything ever again.

between the shitstorm from Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda, I wouldn't fault any devs for not wanting to touch Mass Effect anything ever again.
I don't see this going to a sequel. But I don't see this being the last Mass effect game.

I don't see this going to a sequel. But I don't see this being the last Mass effect game.

Finished it at ~75 hours which includes the preview (so subtract five for stupidity), but even with that, they've left a lot open for a sequel. I don't think EA is going to let go of this storyline.

Finished it at ~75 hours which includes the preview (so subtract five for stupidity), but even with that, they've left a lot open for a sequel. I don't think EA is going to let go of this storyline.

Why toss a perfectly established universe and make something new? Nah, Mass Effect will have a sequel, it would be much cheaper than trying something new. So I brought the game, played about 50%, but I've decided to wipe and wait until they patch some stuff. I like it through, combat is pretty entertaining, story is bit cringe, but I liked DA:I so i have pretty bad taste in general. I was playing on normal, and I generally don't have problems with it, maybe a little too easy, I'm feeling like upping the difficulty would make it more fun. Hows the game at higher levels?

Bug after bug after bug with this game: Reached the end of the first Stronghold and the objective got stuck on "Enter the command center", had to re-load and lose about half an hour of progress.
Is there anything in this game that's not broken? BioWare should be paying me to play-test their games.

I'm 50% through the game and I haven't had nearly that many problems with it. The biggest annoyance I have is with quest markers that either appear too early or don't go away when complete.

I hope it's a big changelog and not more PR bullshit. I think this game is being abandoned, but that's just my take on the situation.

Not likely. Mass Effect is a huge cash cow for EA. BioWare never abandoned Mass Effect 3 despite being a huge PR disaster. They continued to support it with patches, single and multiplayer DLCs well after it was launched.

It will get a sequel. I'll wager that Andromeda will make it's money and then some. It will be a financial success even if it doesn't match the success of previous games. It's too big a franchise to walk away from. Plenty of franchises have survived a single bad game or a couple of bad games. BioWare has only three options if they wanted to abandon the Andromeda galaxy. None of them are good.

1.) BioWare could return to a post Mass Effect 3 timeline in the Milky Way Galaxy. This is a nightmare from a writing standpoint. I could easily throw up another wall of text as to why this would be difficult to pull off. The biggest problem is that BioWare would be forced to pick a canon ending and disavow the alternative endings in the game. BioWare has a basic edict of "player choices matter" and not contradicting whatever choices you can make as being non-canon with sequels. There are people who actually like the "Synthesis" ending and would be pissed if that ending were dismissed as the trash that it is. No matter what you think of it, that ending won't reconcile with the other two going forward into a proper Milky Way based Mass Effect sequel.

2.) BioWare could create a prequel series. BioWare polled its own forums asking if they wanted a prequel or sequel to Mass Effect 3. They were told by the vast majority to make a sequel, not prequels. Prequels block them into established canon, limiting player choices and their own creative direction to fit in the framework of what came before that game. The first trilogy was epic in scale. It had a bad guy that threatened the entire galaxy and existence as the Milky Way species knew it. A prequel wouldn't ever be able to achieve that epic scale or importance of events because the time period between humanity reaching space and Mass Effect 3 is fairly well established. A prequel or series of prequel games will never be able to match the original trilogy as a result of the framework it would be confined to. It's a stupid idea.

3.) BioWare could pull off another jaunt to a different galaxy in the same way they did with Andromeda. It could even be a second expedition to Andromeda proper instead of the Heleus cluster. That's starting over for a third time. I don't think that would be any better received than Andromeda. I don't consider this a viable option.

In all three cases they'd be tasked with creating a new protagonist. That's a risky proposition. You'd either end up with Diet Shepard or someone who is totally different that might not be well received. You could argue for using Anderson in a prequel but even that isn't a great idea. He's established, as is his back story. BioWare would have an even more difficult time limiting their prequel to established events for that character. It's also anti-climactic for fans of the series because you know how Anderson meets his fate. Even worse, his appearance and romantic life are established in the story so player choices there wouldn't make sense.

Alternatively, they could bring Shepard back as a protagonist in the series. Or at least a clone of Shepard. That comes with its own set of writing problems but it could work. I think many people would accept this even if the reasoning behind it was even more convoluted and a stretch of the imagination than his / her original resurrection in Mass Effect 2 was.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with Dan_D in regards to how they would pursue a sequel. The Milky Way is pretty much out at this point.

They could just continue the story in Andromeda. The Heleus cluster is a tiny corner of the Andromeda Galaxy; once mankind is established they could be shown exploring/settling more of Andromeda. It would allow them to keep to the story as it is, while giving them carte blanche for new baddies and races.

They could get at least another sequel out of Andromeda.

Personally I would like to see what they could do story wise without a super antagonist. They are exploring a new Galaxy, why does there have to be a Reaper level bad guy, the exploration and environment could be antagonist. Seed the game with 5-10 new races, that depending on how to deal with them, changes whether or not they help or hender you.

Outside of that they would have to start retconning shit.

I don't know how viable this is and I don't want to overstate the issue but Bioware is supposedly working on some "new IP"... MMO style game? Whatever it is?

I think they ought to suspend that and divert any and all resources to getting this game in tip top shape and over the top.

They can go wherever they want with this. Retconning won't be necessary.

It will get a sequel. I'll wager that Andromeda will make it's money and then some. It will be a financial success even if it doesn't match the success of previous games. It's too big a franchise to walk away from. Plenty of franchises have survived a single bad game or a couple of bad games. BioWare has only three options if they wanted to abandon the Andromeda galaxy. None of them are good.

1.) BioWare could return to a post Mass Effect 3 timeline in the Milky Way Galaxy. This is a nightmare from a writing standpoint. I could easily throw up another wall of text as to why this would be difficult to pull off. The biggest problem is that BioWare would be forced to pick a canon ending and disavow the alternative endings in the game. BioWare has a basic edict of "player choices matter" and not contradicting whatever choices you can make as being non-canon with sequels. There are people who actually like the "Synthesis" ending and would be pissed if that ending were dismissed as the trash that it is. No matter what you think of it, that ending won't reconcile with the other two going forward into a proper Milky Way based Mass Effect sequel.
If they had actually gone the indoctrination route this wouldn't be an issue. But "muh artistic integrity."

Reactions: M76
like this
I'm 50% through the game and I haven't had nearly that many problems with it. The biggest annoyance I have is with quest markers that either appear too early or don't go away when complete.
The bugs I get regularly is squadmates falling out of the sky. But that was already present in DA:I as well. But here it's exaggerated each time getting out of the nomad. They're sometimes spawned 100 feet up in the air.
And a I think I might have seen a few cases were enemies wouldn't spawn, so I could walk trough parts of some levels without opposition. But that might have been intentionally left empty. And once they spawned right in front of me when I was already in the room.
And of course the save bug, but haven't seen that since very early on in the game.
And the bug that was in every ME/Dragon Age game since the beginning: Conversations being triggered too early or too late. I even had continuity errors here. Where a conversation was triggered before it's precursor was.

I don't know how viable this is and I don't want to overstate the issue but Bioware is supposedly working on some "new IP"... MMO style game? Whatever it is?

I think they ought to suspend that and divert any and all resources to getting this game in tip top shape and over the top.

They can go wherever they want with this. Retconning won't be necessary.
The could suspend any MMO indefinitely for all I care. I haven't seen an MMO that was actually good, they're filled with the worst kind of fetch quests, and the worst kinds of "kill 3 green aliens, kill 5 white aliens, and bring back 3 roses" quests. All of them. And I'm definitely not interested in any PvP shit.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Maybe they could use the fact that the endings are mostly the same to their advantage, and kind handwavium away the differences between them. The races of the galaxy survived (mostly), the mass relay network was destroyed, Reaper technology still exists, both because Shepard gained control of it AND because there were tons of dead ones around to be studied, and in some cases, the synthesis thing happened whether it was the desired outcome or not. The fact that the Sovereign class Reapers aren't around anymore could simply be a function of the fact that that form factor is only useful for destroying cities, and the process of rebuilding required them all to be cannibalized for parts, and turned into construction equipment.

Maybe there could be some minor differences if the player imports a save from ME3, but ultimately, the result was the end of the Reaper cycle, the destruction of the mass relay network, and the introduction of the top tier of mass effect technology, regardless of which ending you picked.

The real reason they didn't do this, I'm pretty sure, is that there were so many choices prior to the end of ME3 that accounting for all of them in a sequel would be way too complex.

are there multiple endings in Andromeda?...do the choices you make throughout the game have any real impact?

are there multiple endings in Andromeda?...do the choices you make throughout the game have any real impact?

I haven't seen it but I'll wager that it's like Mass Effect 1 and 2 in that the ending is basically the same with only dialog changes representing any differences or variances in choices you could have made. The developer really has no choice in the matter. Despite the technical challenges and development time required to do it, you can have the game branch all over the place but it will always have to start and end the same way for everyone. From a purely academic or even a design perspective, you could have the campaign branch off in 2 (or more) totally different directions. If you want to have a sequel to that same game all of those branches need to converge on a single point at the end.

As for our choices having an impact on the game, that remains to be seen. It's very likely that several choices won't make any difference while others will have a sizable impact on the story. Regardless, the ultimate ending of the series will always end up at roughly the same point. BioWare won't paint themselves into a corner the way they did with Mass Effect 3 and continuing the series at a later date again.

I can tell you that some choices do have an immediate impact on certain events. While I can't give too many examples of this I do know of at least one. Vidal Reyes (I think that's his name) is bisexual. He's a smuggler of sorts on Kadara. He is a romance option for both Sarah and Scott. Even without trying to romance him a friend of mine got hit on by him at the end of the quest line. At the end of mine he said I was a dick and didn't really want to deal with me.

Last edited:
Did I see correctly that come next Tuesday apparently Bioware is going to have some kind of "press release/statement" in regards to ME:A and overall status, update on patches, etc. etc. ?

Did I see correctly that come next Tuesday apparently Bioware is going to have some kind of "press release/statement" in regards to ME:A and overall status, update on patches, etc. etc. ?

Yes you did.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
No spoilers but...man, these Kett are suffering from a very serious case of "needs-put-down" and then some. Wow. I just finished up on Voeld.

I am also playing at 4k, but with no scaling. I may try some because while frames are not bad (45 to 60+), the cutscenes stutter badly and exiting menus stutters badly.

I'm running the game at 4K as well. I am not using any scaling either. Running with it makes the game look fuzzy if its less than 1.00. I had issues with the menus as well and fixed that by turning off V-Sync. The solution to this may be to enable adaptive V-Sync in the control panel for the game's profile if you are using an NVIDIA card. I don't know about the AMD side of things. The game ran fine for me at 4K. I'd get 60+ FPS most of the time with a few drops into the 50's on some occasions. Where it was really killing me was the Tempest and going into the menus. It's a fucking slide show with V-Sync on.

I am running the game at 4k, I haven't checked my FPS, I will do that this weekend, but I have had incredibly smooth cutscenes and have not experienced the problems Frraksurred mentioned. I am using 2xTitan XPs though and I never play with V-Sync or adaptive V-Sync, can't stand it. The areas I do notice some hesitation though are going into menus, and usually when it does the planet zoom in for scanning. I don't get any staggering, just a slight hesitation at the start, then it zooms in smoothly.

I'm glad you're not getting any bugs. I haven't been so lucky. The characters often do the 360 turn around when entering the conversation cutscene. Sometimes there are more than one of them (I was talking to Drake while his twin kept clipping through us both walking back & forth). Sometimes I start a conversation with a crew member in one room and magically finish it in their designated room (ie;PeeBee in the escape pod). Then when I go to leave, the door is closed... the door that is only closed when there is new story dialogue with that character. When I open it, I telephoto to the outside of it and the new cutscene starts.

While I wouldn't say that the game has been bug free for me, I haven't had nearly the amount of issues that some people have had. I've never seen any of the specific bugs you've mentioned so far.

I am surprised you haven't seen the 360 bug or open/close door bug, these have always been common bugs for Bethesda for their games, when you go up to talk to people from a strange angle or other. I have yet to get the telephoto bug in this game, but I have had that one in other Bethesda games. I have not experienced the magically finishing a conversation in their designated room bug yet though.

Here is a list of bugs I have seen:
Quest markers or objectives do not always clear from the map once completed.
Audio issues with squad mates in conversations being too low to hear.
Animation issues. This topic has been beaten to death although I will say that the most egregious issues seem to occur earlier in the game. None of the facial or character animations are what I'd call top notch, but they are serviceable in most of the game.
There is a weird hair glitch that I've seen on occasion when approaching human characters in the game world for the first time. Sometimes their hair will blink and will look like it's frayed out in every direction before popping into place.
Taking damage during a conversation. This is one bug the poster I quoted above mentioned that I have seen. It happened once. I will be more careful about securing the area before going into conversations.
New items are denoted in the category tabs and do not clear when you've investigated every item.
Jaal's clothes have this motion blur problem sometimes while moving.

Yup, I have experienced pretty much all of these. Although the motion blur is not limited to Jaal, I have seen it on other characters from time to time.

If you are attacked out in the world while interacting with something such as a console, and a dialog results, your character will stand there immobilized despite the damage it is taking, and even go on talking after dying. If this happens you will load any earlier save, because the console will be cleared, but you will not get credit for whatever was accomplished.

Two of the Planets landing and taking off cutscene flicker wildly, going blank and/or changing to solid colors.

A few NPC's faces are a completely black because their textures did not load, eyes too.

Graphics flickering in cut scenes. This one has so far been isolated to the first couple cut scenes in Liam's loyalty mission.
Black screen / endless loading. This happens on rare occasions when I have to reload from a save. I have to go back one save when this happens. This seems to indicate some sort of save file corruption. It can happen with manual and auto saves.
Texture pop in issues. This could be a result of me running the uncompressed 64bit memory setting. I can't recall what it's called. So far I've only had this problem on Eos. Even then its been very rare.
Collison issues with the Nomad. The hit boxes where the Nomad is concerned can sometimes be generous. The Nomad may register a collision when too close to some buildings or rocks and then "bounce" away from it.
Clipping issues in cut scenes. It's important to note that while some issues are present, this game is a vast improvement over the rest of the series.
One quest marker on Voeld is in the wall of a Kett structure and I cannot continue the quest. It's from the "Follow the Scientists Path".
When using the "Press X to Mark All Items Read" in the quest journal, completed missions will not clear. Specifically, one mission doesn't clear which always shows that section as having a new / unread item in it.
In two cut scenes, Ryder uses a rifle in game I do not have and have never seen. Again, this is a vast improvement over previous games that fucked this up in nearly every scene in different ways. It seems that this game even changes Ryder's stance for the cut scene based on what weapon you have equipped / selected at the time. None of the previous games would do that. This is why Shepard used a pistol in 95% of all cut scenes. All Shepard's had access to it regardless of class. Other weapon classes were restricted in ME1 and ME2 to specific character classes.

I have not experienced any of these yet. I do occassionally get a black screen, but that is when the game is trying to switch into HDR. One night this was happening like every 2 minutes, had to restart the game. Most of the time its not an issue though.

I don't hate this game, it was just pushed to market and is not on par with previous ME's imo. While most the bugs should get patched out of it, the unfocused storytelling, flat characters and stitch work mechanics that just needed more Dev time, will remain. I will still enjoy as much of it as I can, but as a fan of the series, it is difficult not to mourn what could have been.

This is where I have to seriously disagree with you on multiple points. In a lot of ways this game is more polished than the previous games in the series. ME2 is still probably the most polished of the series but it had issues too. In fact some of the same issues this game has albeit to a lesser extent. The second point about unfocused story telling is a perception issue I think. It isn't that the story is unfocused its that there is too much to do compared to previous ME games. In fact, it's very easy to get side tracked by side quests in this game. That's not an issue with this game. It's easy to do in every open world game I've ever seen. From Oblivion to STALKER this is always a potential issue. It's up to you to stay on task. When you do the story seems a lot more focused.

My impression so far of the game is that it is really different from ME1-3 in a lot of ways. It is coming at the universe and the stories from a slightly different direction. While the net result of interactions and combat are a bit similar, the story and purpose for what you are doing is different. This feels like a different game to me personally and I seem to approach a lot of situations a bit differently than I did in ME1-3. In ME1-3 I was a lot more military oriented, strategy mindset. In MEA, I have a much more survivalist/explorer mindset. It's not necessarily a stark contrast mind you, but it does feel different to me.

But my main issue is still how useless the tempest and nomad are. NO GUNS ON EITHER ONE and the nomad drives like ass... seriously copy paste the mako in i would be happier or even that shitty hover tank from the 2nd one...

I was secretly hoping that later in the game you'll be able to install guns on them. I'm only 20 hours and 28% into the game.
As I mentioned in the above post there is an upgrade for the nomad that changes its handling. It makes it more similar to the mako but for most that's a downgrade who want simple or easy.

I disagree. I think it handles better than the Mako and I've got a lot of time in ME1. Not as much as I have in subsequent games, but 5 full completionist play throughs isn't nothing. The Nomad is in most respects better once upgraded fully. As for the guns issue, you have to keep in mind that the Andromeda Initiative is a civilian and not a military venture. The weapons descriptions are very specific that some of the military weapons were obtained illegally, or their blue prints were. The Ark ships, the Nomad and the Tempest being unarmed is somewhat expected. Now, had these been built in Texas, they'd have had guns on them. :) I think this also came down to the developer not wanting to put enemies on the ground you have to shoot with the Nomad that are hard to handle on foot and not provide you easy targets for the nomad that you could take on foot. That's just a guess on my part.

Hardly. It seems pretty clear to me that they never intended for Nomad based combat to be in the game. I also think there is more substance here than people give it credit for.

I agree with Dan on this one. I think a lot of people keep forgetting that this story is foremost about exploring, not war. In ME1-3 you were part of a military special forces outfit. Your job was to investigate and eliminate threats to the galaxy. In MEA, your job is to explore and find suitable planets to colonize. All the technology was built for that purpose. And they repeatedly said they had not expected any hostile interactions. Think about all our space exploration vehicles, have we once put any weapons on them? No. It's not quite the same thing as these guys are doing, but similar premise.

Agreed. It doesn't feel like a slap in the face at all. When you take your time with the game it's pretty rewarding for fans of the series I think. BioWare has the usual issues they always do but they got more right than wrong in my opinion.

I agree, I have been enjoying MEA so far. I do feel perhaps the story is a bit slow, but in reality most of Bioware's stories seem to evolve a bit slowly.

You can't disagree with subjective preference.

Sure I can. My subjective opinion says your subjective opinion is wrong. That's meaningless as both opinions are subjective.

Hold on, let me stop laughing for a second first... Sorry man, that statement just made me amused, nothing personal towards you. I appreciate your comments.

You absolutely can disagree with subjective preference, especially because its subjective. I think you are trying to say is your subjective preference cannot be wrong, that is different than disagreeing with it though.

And Dan, technically while you can say his subjective opinion is wrong, that is a bit of a fallacy, since his subjective opinion is entirely based on his own feelings and thus technically can't be wrong. Unless he is lying about his subjective opinion...

I understand that you like it more. I hate it. I could easily predict the Mako, and make it do what I wanted after driving it for 2 seconds. It behaved like I expect a vehicle to behave that adheres to the laws of basic physics. It behaves weirdly because they gave it huge amounts of grip, but I can make it sing if I want to.
The base nomad defies physics. I can't predict what will it do. I mean it can go trough a gap half the width of the damn vehicle. And it can go trough huge obstacles without as much as feeling a bump. It's completely nuts. And I already explained in my previous post the fake all wheel drive mode.
As for weapons, they even mention it in one of the craftable weapon's description that it could be adopted for larger scale applications. Which to me means on a ship or a vehicle, what else would "larger scale application" means?
Sure the initiative came in peace, but they found an enemy. They could and should outfit their ships and vehicles with weapons. If they have the capacity to manufacture any handgun why couldn't they make a large gun?They built the damn nexus for crying out.

I think they intended, why else would they put health and shields on it? It has no purpose outside of combat.
Actually there is vehicle combat, you can hit enemies with it, but due to the lack of physics most of the time it just drives over them without hurting them. In ME1 if you hit someone with the mako they were dead.

I get it, people expect certain things because its an ME game. But let's focus on the theme of this game. It is about exploring the uknown, or somewhat unknown. Because remember, they had a lot of preconceived ideas about this galaxy before they ventured out there.

First, I feel the Nomad does much less defying of physics than the Mako did. The Mako pretty much felt fluid the entire time I drove it, with very little discernible difference for different terrains other than speed. The Nomad speeds up, slows down, slogs through, slips and slides like I would expect a vehicle to do on various terrains. It also can't just go up and over everything. It has different traction modes that you are forced to use often. And as an exploration vehicle as opposed to a combat vehicle, I would expect it to go over or through more terrain, that is its purpose after all.

Secondly, having shields has nothing to do with combat. It has shields to help protect you from the environment itself, because it is an exploration vehicle. There is a reason why a lot of our exploration vehicles here are built with heavier duty substances, to help them endure the conditions they have to face.

My main point is that I can disagree with whatever I like. Right or wrong it doesn't matter when we are talking about anything that's purely subjective. I didn't word it the best but that's what I get for writing long ass posts while multitasking.

On the subject of the Andromeda Initiative being setup as an exploratory organization and for colonization, I think it's safe to say that they did prepare for a certain amount of trouble but weren't prepared for war. The choice not to arm the Arks was risky but makes a certain sense. Each ark has nearly 20,000 people aboard it. I am not sure how many came to Andromeda on the Nexus. There are five arks total with whatever's on the Nexus. Given the size of the Nexus I think its safe to say that there is at least as many as there are on the arks. That's 10's of thousands of people coming to the Andromeda galaxy. If that was done in heavily armed ships with a flying space station in tow it would look like an invasion to any advanced race that could see it.

Small arms carried by expeditionary forces make sense. Those can be justified due to the unknown wildlife, raiders, and general self-defense. The armor has a dual purpose of acting as a sturdy form of space suit and being suited to combat operations. Ships like the Arks and the Tempest are clearly not designed with military application in mind. All you need to do is look at the Tempest's design vs. the Normandy's and you can see that. The tempest has lots of windows and areas of the ship that aren't safe to be in during combat. In contrast, the Normandy has a seat for almost everyone and very powerful weapons for it's size. The original Normandy had no windows outside the cockpit and the SR2 had blast shields to cover any windows it did have. Given that the Andromeda Initiative is a civilian organization, they may not have been able to arm the arks due to government regulations which could have prevented it. It's one thing to load up your arks with Thanix cannons and another thing to have a few military grade blueprints on file ready for fabrication once you arrive in Andromeda. Cerberus disregards any laws it wants to but the Andromeda Initiative was a very public facing organization and not a clandestine black ops group.

The Nomad may be similar to the Mako in many ways but it's clear that it was designed to traverse rough terrain over any potential military application. It's the car you can take where you have roads, shitty roads or no roads. It only carries a liited number of people which makes the low size limit of Ryder's squad make sense. Shepard being limited to two squad mates never made much sense in most cases. Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC mission where you bring all of your surviving squad mates along is all the more badass for it though. Your right in that shields can protect from radiation and other environmental hazards. The same as any armor would. Looking at it structurally, it wouldn't be as good in a frontal collision as the Mako would be. Obviously game mechanics between two different development teams 4 games and two game engines makes the comparison more difficult to make, but one looks like a tank and the other doesn't. I could strap weapons to my F-250 but it's not expressly designed as a military vehicle.

In talking about the Mako vs. Nomad the post above me makes sense. It does slide around corners and lose traction at times. The Mako never seemed to lose traction as much as lack the power to traverse certain terrain features. And for those non-car people who didn't get my reference, General Motors had an anemic engine that they used in a lot of vehicles called the "Iron Duke." It was a 4 cylinder engine that put out around 85-95HP depending on the application and year model. It's anemic in every application it was used in. It's still probably one of the most reliable engines ever built. You can't kill those fucking things. The Mako always felt like it was running on that. It had no power, no top speed and sometimes wouldn't go over ridges or something that it absolutely should have been able to clear. Also, if you are using mass effect fields to lower the vehicles weight or to provide down force to climb hills at 45 degree angles then the pitching and yawing like a conventional vehicle today doesn't make as much sense. The Nomad grips better but at least loses traction. You can also see thrusters reacting to your inputs as you make them. When fully upgraded the Nomad is pretty good overall. The vertical thrusters could be better. The Mako did that a lot better but the Mako was also air dropped and needed them. The Nomad doesn't seem to get deployed that way. Again, as a civilian vehicle it wouldn't be a necessary design characteristic. You aren't dropping them behind enemy lines.

You absolutely can disagree with subjective preference, especially because its subjective. I think you are trying to say is your subjective preference cannot be wrong, that is different than disagreeing with it though.
I meant he cannot say that someone elses opinion is wrong and his is right. And I clarified that later too. To me when he said "I disagree with your opinion" after we went back and forth two times already clearly signalled that he meant that my opinion is not valid. That's why I said what I said. Of course I didn't mean he cannot have a different opinion. Which I emphasised in every one of the posts about this topic.

I meant he cannot say that someone elses opinion is wrong and his is right. And I clarified that later too. To me when he said "I disagree with your opinion" after we went back and forth two times already clearly signalled that he meant that my opinion is not valid. That's why I said what I said. Of course I didn't mean he cannot have a different opinion. Which I emphasised in every one of the posts about this topic.

Agreed. Let's move on.

As it turns out, I was right about something much more important. (Warning Spoilers ahead.)

The Andromeda Initiative was founded to colonize the Andromeda galaxy in an effort to preserve human civilization. I'll admit M76, you made good points as to why this wasn't the case but I never could shake the feeling that's what it was for. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. It turns out I was absolutely right. The points about the Andromeda Initiative being started a short time after humanity hit the intergalactic scene were the most compelling argument against the notion that the Initiative's true purpose was as a contingency against Reaper invasion.

When humanity discovered the Prothean ruins on Mars, they learned about mass effect technology as well as the relay network. They more than likely learned at least some information about the Prothean civilization itself even if the picture was incomplete. The Protheans would have included warnings to future races in the next cycle to prepare for the Reapers. Jaavik even says this plainly in Mass Effect 3. The Prothean beacons don't work on everyone but they had to have worked on more people than just Shepard. Humanity may have learned of the Reapers at the same time as they learned about mass effect technology. We even know that the Reapers were a common myth in the galaxy as it came up numerous times. Anytime it was brought up to virtually anyone outside of Shepard's crew, people heard of it even if they dismissed the veracity of such claims out right. So it was common knowledge. Most likely because the Prothean ruins and left over technology is how all the races learned to travel faster than light. The Reapers even intentionally allow it so civilization becomes dependent on this technology, and in predictive ways that the Reapers can deal with when harvesting sentient species.

For humans just coming onto the scene, they probably took the mythology somewhat seriously even when the council races didn't. They would have had no reason to doubt the Prothean records. Confirmation could have been easy if anyone ever found a memory shard or encountered a beacon prior to Shepard doing so in 2183.

Today's bugs from my 2 hour session so far:

* Repeated dialog from my squad mates in a specific spot (Blackrock Fields or something), they kept talking about rocks for several minutes. Also repeated quest dialog from SAM after scanning some wreckage, he said the same lines twice.

* Secondary objective to "Explore Outpost" wouldn't complete, ended up completing the mission with the failed objective. Oh well.

* Initiated combat with some Remnant while standing behind one of those giant pillar things. Apparently they forgot to program it as a wall because I got gunned to death by a dozen robots through the wall.

* Got the Nomad jammed inside of a rock somehow, was trying to squeeze through a tight spot.

* Depleted/Out of Zone bug again, twice.

* Combat bug again, this time I think they were trapped inside a wall.

Today's bugs from my 2 hour session so far:

* Repeated dialog from my squad mates in a specific spot (Blackrock Fields or something), they kept talking about rocks for several minutes. Also repeated quest dialog from SAM after scanning some wreckage, he said the same lines twice.

* Secondary objective to "Explore Outpost" wouldn't complete, ended up completing the mission with the failed objective. Oh well.

* Initiated combat with some Remnant while standing behind one of those giant pillar things. Apparently they forgot to program it as a wall because I got gunned to death by a dozen robots through the wall.

* Got the Nomad jammed inside of a rock somehow, was trying to squeeze through a tight spot.

* Depleted/Out of Zone bug again, twice.

* Combat bug again, this time I think they were trapped inside a wall.

Dude, what are you doing to cause this shit? I've got nearly 70 hours in and I don't see as many problems across a couple days as you seem to see in a single 2 hour session. I have seen quest markers appear either early or wouldn't disappear after the quest line was completed. Dialog also seems to repeat if you go into an area that triggers it. Effectively, the triggers aren't being removed after those quests are completed. It's sloppy I'd agree but those are minor issues. As for getting killed through walls and shit like that, it has never happened to me. I've never sen this depleted / out of zone bug.

I attacked a Kett outpost, after all the enemies were dead, there were 2 red dots inside a wall and I was stuck in combat. I don't know how I did anything to cause that.
Same with area scanning, I drive around dropping mining nodes and all of a sudden it says "Out of Zone" even though I'm in the mining zone... I don't do anything different than all the other zones.

Getting shot through a wall... All I did was park my Nomad behind the pillar, shoot one stray Remnant floating to the side, then I noticed my shields dropping. Looked toward the pillar and I see blue beams coming THROUGH THE WALL and draining my health. Died a few seconds later.

Long story short I'm just playing the game. I'm not trying to break it. I'm not "getting creative" or anything. It just breaks.
I am taking notes though, which means everytime I spot a bug, I stop and jot it down in Notepad. Still missed dozens if not hundreds of bugs from my first 20 hours.

Most of my issues I've been able to find other people reproducing them via Google, so I know it's not just me. If I do something the game doesn't expect me to do, and it breaks, I can sort of look past that. But the Nomad save bug... The Architect bug... Big problems effecting other people too.

It's one of the buggiest games I've played in years. The problems have been so consistent over my entire playthrough that it's not just isolated things. I can't go more than 15-30 minutes without seeing a bug or breaking the game entirely.

Last edited:
I attacked a Kett outpost, after all the enemies were dead, there were 2 red dots inside a wall and I was stuck in combat. I don't know how I did anything to cause that.
Same with area scanning, I drive around dropping mining nodes and all of a sudden it says "Out of Zone" even though I'm in the mining zone... I don't do anything different than all the other zones.

Getting shot through a wall... All I did was park my Nomad behind the pillar, shoot one stray Remnant floating to the side, then I noticed my shields dropping. Looked toward the pillar and I see blue beams coming THROUGH THE WALL and draining my health. Died a few seconds later.

Long story short I'm just playing the game. I'm not trying to break it. I'm not "getting creative" or anything. It just breaks.
I am taking notes though, which means everytime I spot a bug, I stop and jot it down in Notepad. Still missed dozens if not hundreds of bugs from my first 20 hours.

Most of my issues I've been able to find other people reproducing them via Google, so I know it's not just me. If I do something the game doesn't expect me to do, and it breaks, I can sort of look past that. But the Nomad save bug... The Architect bug... Big problems effecting other people too.

It's one of the buggiest games I've played in years. The problems have been so consistent over my entire playthrough that it's not just isolated things. I can't go more than 15-30 minutes without seeing a bug or breaking the game entirely.

Starting to think your install is messed up, or your system is injecting some ethereal mechanics during your games heh. I haven't seen 80% of the stuff you have seen in my playthrough.

The mining

I thought I had a similar problem after clearing out a Kett base once. It turns out that the issue was with a turret. The turret respawns even when the enemies don't. You say you see bugs every 15-30 minutes, I barely see bugs over the course of several hours. Most are with the UI not removing "new" item notifications or quest marker related.

The mining

I thought I had a similar problem after clearing out a Kett base once. It turns out that the issue was with a turret. The turret respawns even when the enemies don't. You say you see bugs every 15-30 minutes, I barely see bugs over the course of several hours. Most are with the UI not removing "new" item notifications or quest marker related.
I had a similar issue, red dots even after clearing the kett base / disabling the control center. Then as I tried to walk out the entire outer perimeter defense re-spawned on me including turrets, and a dozen kett.

Does anyone have the Prima guide here? Curious if it has an objective map for each planet. Hunting down all the "Additional Tasks" is a pain.

60 hours here and have yet to experience a single glitch or bug that I noticed. Sucks that it's happening to others but it's been a great gameplay run for me so far.

60 hours here and have yet to experience a single glitch or bug that I noticed. Sucks that it's happening to others but it's been a great gameplay run for me so far.
So, you've never once tried to a load a save in the Nomad? lol.
I'm even AWARE of that bug and I've done it twice today already.

Hows the game at higher levels?

I'm doing my first run on Normal also (tradition with this series). Once you get up to level 50 the enemies start to take more strategy. You have to plan your skills and Squad more around being able to quickly strip Shields, then fire combo Armor. My character is mainly a biotic Adept, but I had to replace a skill with a fully upgraded Incinerate that can both prime and detonate. This has made some of the armor heavy bosses more manageable, plus it adds an extra primer + detonator to all my other combos (Singularity / Push / Incinerate / Weapon augmented to strip shields faster).

That said, I'm eager to try out NG+ on Insanity... if I don't get consumed with the MP and forget about the SP completely. I'll be ready for a break after this run for sure, but I'll likely wait until the game is patched into better shape before I try another SP run.

Sorry your having these problems TaintedSquirrel but damn I'm not seeing what your seeing. (but I'm really dense so :| ) But it's great your recording them down, Bioware has asked for bugs to be reported on their forum here.

Why toss a perfectly established universe and make something new? Nah, Mass Effect will have a sequel, it would be much cheaper than trying something new. So I brought the game, played about 50%, but I've decided to wipe and wait until they patch some stuff. I like it through, combat is pretty entertaining, story is bit cringe, but I liked DA:I so i have pretty bad taste in general. I was playing on normal, and I generally don't have problems with it, maybe a little too easy, I'm feeling like upping the difficulty would make it more fun. Hows the game at higher levels?

I'm doing my first run on Normal also (tradition with this series). Once you get up to level 50 the enemies start to take more strategy. You have to plan your skills and Squad more around being able to quickly strip Shields, then fire combo Armor. My character is mainly a biotic Adept, but I had to replace a skill with a fully upgraded Incinerate that can both prime and detonate. This has made some of the armor heavy bosses more manageable, plus it adds an extra primer + detonator to all my other combos (Singularity / Push / Incinerate / Weapon augmented to strip shields faster).

That said, I'm eager to try out NG+ on Insanity... if I don't get consumed with the MP and forget about the SP completely. I'll be ready for a break after this run for sure, but I'll likely wait until the game is patched into better shape before I try another SP run.

Yeah, to tag onto what Frraksurred said, the game seems to really prefer characters that aren't dedicated to just one branch. Many combos work best when you are stacking attacks from different groups. I am using Adept/Tech combos that work pretty effectively. I think it probably is better to focus on some shield or armor breaking stuff early with higher damage. I started off with all defensive upgrades for myself and my squad and it just ends up taking longer to kill people that way. Which gives them more time to reinforce.

Some great things to go for early though are the basic health from the soldier tree, then you want to get a good early power combo like energy drain + incinerate, or energy drain + shockwave. Look for things that detonate on combos, should say in the powers description. Be sure to create a couple power loadouts that have your combos put together. I have a defense loadout, and then 3 combo loadouts that I can switch between.

Back