Mars GPU PhysX Benchmark

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
There is a pretty cool new PhysX benchmark you can download from a new TPS being developed by Epic games in China called Mars.The implements GPU PhysX effects on a pretty large scale with everything from fluid, particles, cloth, smoke, and destruction. You can find out more info from Geforce.cn and the games website.

Download and more info:

http://www.geforce.cn/whats-new/articles/qqsm-benchmark
http://www.qqsm.com/v5/benchmark.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPH-jkgYIO8"]YouTube - ‪Mars GPU PhysX Benchmark HD‬‏[/ame]

I think some of these PhysX demos do more harm than good. They kinda show how much of a gimmick it actually is. We've had destructible environments in games since forever, yet the games that are really pushing the envelope aren't the ones using PhysX.

Look at BC2 and Company of Heroes and their destructive environments and actual ground deformation. All these demos usually show surface deformation and end there.

Gimmick? Jesus sometimes is hard to understand some people really....realistic physx in games is the next step on making worlds look more life like...of getting rid of that "fake" world feeling you get with many games...is small things like some of the stuff on the video that create the illusion yet as always happened someone cries gimmick....T&L was gimmick, 32bit color was gimmick, and so on....any time something new is introduced the "Its all Gimmick" protest team comes out shouting....ridiculous really and getting old....

Gimmick? Jesus sometimes is hard to understand some people really....realistic physx in games is the next step on making worlds look more life like...of getting rid of that "fake" world feeling you get with many games...is small things like some of the stuff on the video that create the illusion yet as always happened someone cries gimmick....T&L was gimmick, 32bit color was gimmick, and so on....any time something new is introduced the "Its all Gimmick" protest team comes out shouting....ridiculous really and getting old....

IMO, it's a gimmick when it's a one trick pony that few developers utilize. GPU Physx seems to be boarderline there, IMO (just GPU Physx, not the CPU variant that even console games can and have used). Remember, it's physics, and not physx :p

Of course, you deliberately took one word of Crotan's post out of context to complain about. He never said physics was a gimmick, and mentions how it's added to BFBC2 and CoH.... without using Physx in any form. :cool: It's Physx he thought was a gimmick for reasons he's already spelt out.

As jeremyshaw pointed out, you misunderstood me. PhysX is nvidia's branded version of "realistic physics in a game"

Note I do not think "realistic physics in a game" is a gimmick. I think destructive environments and deformation is amazing and does a great deal to the immersion factor.

What I think is a gimmick is Nvidia's PhysX, there's a big difference. In my opinion when a developer uses something other than PhysX to introduce destructive environments it usually integrates better and feels like part of the game rather than an after thought.

If I had to guess, the half assed feeling I get from Nvidia's PhysX would be because it divides the gaming community and forces developers to pick and choose parts their customers will utilize and enjoy.

That was likely the least impressive demo I've ever seen.
The destructive environments were great, but the demo content its self.

That was cheesy if you ask me. I think I've seen significantly better physics in a lot of other games.

I'm dying for an OMGWTF physics implementation in a well-made game. This isn't it, unfortunately.

Nvidia PhysX is a joke, and will continue to be while the number of games supported remains low, and as long as nvidia actively locks out amd users with an nvidia gpu for physx.

tl;dr gimmick, also that demo was shitty.

That is pretty neat! We need physx on more games :D
hmm....

maybe you should stop posting here, and get back to actually putting some good physics into that Mars game you're supposed to be working on

:rolleyes:

hmm....

maybe you should stop posting here, and get back to actually putting some good physics into that Mars game you're supposed to be working on

:rolleyes:

This is the physics forum. Maybe he is really into this stuff?

I'll check out the demo (downloading now) but I did not see anything ground-breaking in the video. Some nice effects, sure, but its nothing that hasn't been done before. I don't understand why they can't make something that will blow us away.

EDIT:
So it finished downloading. Looks alright, but it ran like a dog on my system. 17FPS avg with a GTX 470. I don't get it. The graphics weren't that good. Got 25FPS on medium settings (no PhysX). I wasn't impressed. There were some nice particle effects but not much beyond that.

Last edited:
usual NV bullshit my games that have physx work fine but this benchmark does'nt enable physx for me.

What's the point of all these demo's when there aren't any games using them?

They should be focusing on getting more game developers on board than creating some demo that's showing nothing new about physx.

If I had to guess, the half assed feeling I get from Nvidia's PhysX would be because it divides the gaming community and forces developers to pick and choose parts their customers will utilize and enjoy.

Well put. While the additions can look pretty sometimes, they don't affect the core gameplay. That's why these added features feel like a shabby coat of paint over a rusty bench. They're superficial. The physics in Frostbite are sweet, and feel substantial because they are quite the opposite of superficial. Enemy taking cover behind a wall? Use a noobtoob to blow that wall apart right in front of his face, killing him. Or better yet, bring the whole damn thing around him (if you're in a tank) if he's holed up where you can't see him. That's substantial. That's awesome. That's affecting the core gameplay, adding something worthwhile and exciting (e.g. destructable cover/buildings) - a new dynamic - to the gameplay. Lots of extra particle effects or swirly fog? Not so much.

PhysX serves to only divide the market into haves and have-nots. This wouldn't be so bad if they allowed the use of ATi GPUs with NVIDIA cards as PhysX boards. Isn't that defeating the point of trying to sell more cards? I also loathe the fact that PhysX when running on the CPU only uses x87 FPU code and no SIMD instruction sets like SSE which would be far, far more efficient and practical to do. But noooo... If you segment the market you make it much more difficult to justify adding features that cost real dollars and manhours which everyone that buys that game may not be able to use, thus wasting their time and money. Segmenting your user base is the last thing you want when sales are already a fraction of what is done on consoles. (This is why PhysX continues to be a bad joke gone on far too long. Seriously, Jen-Hsun, it's not funny anymore.)

In the end, PhysX is just a sleazy tactic to attempt to ensure user and developer lock in to buying NVIDIA GPUs and instead casts the Green Goblin in a very bad light.

To quote John Carmack in '09: "I hope that Nvidia didn’t pay a whole lot of money for them..."

I, for one, will welcome our new GPU-agnostic DirectCompute and OpenCL overlords with open arms after I drain the lizard on PhysX's dilapidated grave.

Last edited:
My favorite part was when the generic chic opens up full auto on the concrete barrier 12 inches in front of her. Is that supposed to be a realistic representation of a spatially challenged woman? Then she tosses a grenade and announces it with a shouted "fire in the hole"!

That's what she said. Verbatim.

It's all win when the fail is thick enough to swim in. Speaking of which, the water effects pretty much sucked. The distorted image coming through it they managed quite well but the appearance of the water itself was weak.

My favorite part was when the generic chic opens up full auto on the concrete barrier 12 inches in front of her. Is that supposed to be a realistic representation of a spatially challenged woman? Then she tosses a grenade and announces it with a shouted "fire in the hole"!

That's what she said. Verbatim.

It's all win when the fail is thick enough to swim in. Speaking of which, the water effects pretty much sucked. The distorted image coming through it they managed quite well but the appearance of the water itself was weak.
haha a good synopsis

That really was weak... If this is supposed to be cutting edge physics technology I expect to at least see buildings CRUMBLING... Red Faction Guerrilla anyone? Didn't even use PhysX bs.

Back