Manned Robot Tested In South Korea

'
1. Not as complex as one might think when compared to installing a cockpit for the person, which more or less will have all the same sensors and ability as a remote system
2. Not really, you have massive blind spots on a system like this and will still depend on lots of sensors and cameras for all but the most simple and forward line of sight tasks
3. No feedback from controls, unless force feedback, which can be done at remote as well, outside of that you are only feeling leaning or moving, not much else, sensors would be far more reliable as well
4. What?
1. Do you have any idea how much bandwidth would be required to control a system like that remotely AND send out video? Do you know how sensitive complex robotics are to data corruption? Conceivably, something like this would be best suited to environments that aren't friendly to automation...which also would likely mean it's not going to be a pristine environment for communication. The comms and control system would have to be extremely robust if you are going to ensure the operation of a 3 ton bipedal machine designed to take inputs remotely. This adds considerable complexity and cost to anything. It would also limit it's use inside of structures or any barriers that block line of sight with the control station.

2. Same solution can be implemented inside of a cockpit. Human senses are also more attuned when actually in a location rather than remotely. That latter part saved my life in Iraq almost a decade ago when I noticed something that wasn't seen with the robot we sent out.

3. The movement feedback is valuable, especially if the robot you are controlling is a biped facsimile. You could also do that remotely in a remote cockpit but this also adds complexity.

4. I'm more talking about if a control station is separated from the robot by great distances. Example: American predator/reaper 'drones' take SECONDS to respond to input because of the amount of time it takes for the signal to travel and be processed by each comm node. This basically ensures that the aforementioned complex/robust comm system must travel with the robot and limits it to short distances.

Last edited:
'
1. Do you have any idea how much bandwidth would be required to control a system like that remotely AND send out video? Do you know how sensitive complex robotics are to data corruption? Conceivably, something like this would be best suited to environments that aren't friendly to automation...which also would likely mean it's not going to be a pristine environment for communication. The comms and control system would have to be extremely robust if you are going to ensure the operation of a 3 ton bipedal machine designed to take inputs remotely. This adds considerable complexity and cost to anything. It would also limit it's use inside of structures or any barriers that block line of sight with the control station.

2. Same solution can be implemented inside of a cockpit. Human senses are also more attuned when actually in a location rather than remotely. That latter part saved my life in Iraq almost a decade ago when I noticed something that wasn't seen with the robot we sent out.

3. The movement feedback is valuable, especially if the robot you are controlling is a biped facsimile. You could also do that remotely in a remote cockpit but this also adds complexity.

4. I'm more talking about if a control station is separated from the robot by great distances. Example: American predator/reaper 'drones' take SECONDS to respond to input because of the amount of time it takes for the signal to travel and be processed by each comm node. This basically ensures that the aforementioned complex/robust comm system must travel with the robot and limits it to short distances.

1. Yes, its not alot, and the systems are not complex or expensive, hell, they are now in consumer drones you can buy for under $500 and have ranges of miles. Thats not even getting into commercial or military drones that fly in areas that try active interference and are some of the most unfriendly environments.

3. No, its not, the person is giving it simple back and forth controls, they are not moving the legs their self, these systems have been automated for YEARS with biped robots.

4. Those drones are often controlled state side, while the drone is in another country, there is no need for that in most industrial uses for this sort of robot, where just a few hundred feet would be more than enough, no less for development stuff like this, where it will never see actual use, it's a waste of resources and space, this robot can already be controlled remotely, I guess you did not watch the whole video, where the second half is it being controlled with no one in the seat.

What practical use would this robot be used for? What could it do better then by other means?

Now strap on two big guns like in the Matrix and now you have a rather cool shooting gallery platform. Except it makes for a rather big easy target.

^ I was about to post the same thing.. wasn't there just a news post here about Jeff Bezos in that thing a week or so ago? Everyone was disappointed by the chains holding it up.

^ I was about to post the same thing.. wasn't there just a news post here about Jeff Bezos in that thing a week or so ago? Everyone was disappointed by the chains holding it up.
The chains are to prevent him from going on a murderous rampage and taking over the world.

I have been on an 80s / 90s movie binge recently, and I just watched Robot Jox ... it may have had more believable stop motion animation.

Robot-Jox-classic-science-fiction-films-35839046-480-270.jpg

Absolutely love this movie, I feel it is very underrated.

You gotta wonder if he consciously goes for the super villain look, or if it's just fate.
I'm not wondering. I've decided at least 10 years ago that he's a lunatic psychopath. It's just a matter of time when he'll become a bond villain. Or maybe he already is secretly.

Back