Mandatory Ageia PPS driver install with demo?!?!

Bloodgod42

Gawd
I just downloaded the new Ghost Recon demo. After the intial game install, it popped a window up prompting me to install the PPS drivers regardless if I actually had a PPS card installed or not. This was all bannered with a nice colorful add for Ageias PPS.

So I guess my question is: If I am required to install this I would like to know what game improvements I get from installing hardware drivers for a device I do not own?

It seemed more like an advertisment for Ageia, which would be fine had it not installed "something" on my pc while I was viewing it. :( :confused:

Thanks for your 2-cents,
Bloodgod42

I really don't see the problem. Yes it's an advertisement for Agiea, but it's not very obtrusive, plus, it's just there to sort of show "That's right, this game USES the card, it even has DRIVERS for it, that's just how hardcore we are about Physx".

It's not like it installs a virus or anything.

Gob said:
I really don't see the problem. Yes it's an advertisement for Agiea, but it's not very obtrusive, plus, it's just there to sort of show "That's right, this game USES the card, it even has DRIVERS for it, that's just how hardcore we are about Physx".

It's not like it installs a virus or anything.

I know its not a virus, but it does install to the systray by default and that will cause decreased system performance.

I realize the need for advertisment in the world, I just wish it was advertised as a PPS demo and gave you an option to skip it.

Bloodgod42

Bloodgod42 said:
I know its not a virus, but it does install to the systray by default and that will cause decreased system performance.

I realize the need for advertisment in the world, I just wish it was advertised as a PPS demo and gave you an option to skip it.

Bloodgod42
Oh please "Decreased Performance". Chances are you have some Over $1000 monster of a computer, but even if you don't it doesn't effect my old computer which cost me $800 back in 2001, it's the same decrease in performance you would get with setting a high res image as your desktop background.

Gob said:
Oh please "Decreased Performance". Chances are you have some Over $1000 monster of a computer, but even if you don't it doesn't effect my old computer which cost me $800 back in 2001, it's the same decrease in performance you would get with setting a high res image as your desktop background.

I guess your not a number cruncher...thats ok. :D

The game uses the ageia physics libraries, it needs to have them installed. (That or include the them with every game that uses them independantly, which is redundant.)

The game uses the ageia physics libraries, it needs to have them installed.

No problem with the game using the libraries or even installing them on my machine, so that not every game has to install them seperately. Absolutely no problem with that. But i would have a problem if they installed something onto my systray which didnt disappear(unload) when i wasnt playing a game which used it. Im already sick of seeing the quicktime/realplayer and other crappy systray icons that i have to remove from starting up.

have you guys tried to close out the ageia in the sytem tray and start the game? you get an error and the game wont load!!! so if you dont want it to load with windows, you have to start it your self before you start the game, it wont just load when it is needed. im not liking that too much!!

tricky0502 said:
have you guys tried to close out the ageia in the sytem tray and start the game? you get an error and the game wont load!!! so if you dont want it to load with windows, you have to start it your self before you start the game, it wont just load when it is needed. im not liking that too much!!
Yea....that's pretty fucking lame

Menelmarar said:
Yea....that's pretty fucking lame

Yea, I hate how we have to load those stupid ATi or Nvidia drivers everytime we start the computer....fucking lame man, fucking lame.

</sarcasm>

Its the same with Ageia, you need the driver for the physics in the game.

Erasmus354 said:
Yea, I hate how we have to load those stupid ATi or Nvidia drivers everytime we start the computer....fucking lame man, fucking lame.

</sarcasm>

Its the same with Ageia, you need the driver for the physics in the game.
Thats pretty crappy, the drivers from nVidia and ATI that I use don't have applications that have to run in the system tray for the cards to function.

You should try updating yours from www.ati.com or www.nvidia.com

The desperate attempt to create interest in Ageia with a required tray "driver" is pretty pathetic. How do games link Havok or other physics libraries? Oh yeah, in the game!

Hopefully Ageia won't pay off other game makers to do that lame tactic.

pxc said:
The desperate attempt to create interest in Ageia with a required tray "driver" is pretty pathetic. How do games link Havok or other physics libraries? Oh yeah, in the game!

Hopefully Ageia won't pay off other game makers to do that lame tactic.
I don't think this was a matter of Ageia paying off Ubisoft. It looked like when I installed the demo that it just initialized a supplied Ageia driver at the end. I imagine anyone who got an Ageia PPU has this same driver installed. Also from what people say it seems like the driver and physics engine are linked.

This is very strange, most hardware operates at a basic windows driver level without the need for additional applications running. Ageia needs to improve their software.

tricky0502 said:

What are you talking about? The first thing I did was unload/disable the tray icon and I have absolutely no problems starting the game.

How is having to install the PhysX engine any different than, say, having to install DirectX? A tray icon that sits there, does nothing, and takes no resources? boo f'in hoo

I actually never even installed the physics driver. I hit cancel on the installation and GRAW is working perfect.

jAkUp said:
I actually never even installed the physics driver. I hit cancel on the installation and GRAW is working perfect.
I got home from work today and tried disabling the tray icon myself, like tricky0502 said. Works fine with tray icon disabled. I have no problem with this.

I was at work without immediate access to the game and was going on what tricky0502 said. I shoulda known not to listen to a noobie.... :rolleyes:

jAkUp said:

Finally someone with a working brain.

Bloodgod42 said:

Bloodgod42

System performance as it relates to the systray in not affected if your running XP

Back