Making HTPC output 4k

Flapjack

2[H]4U
I'm having a problem getting my HTPC to display 4k to my new TV. Here is the hardware/software specs:

HTPC
- Windows 8.1
- AMD A10-6800K CPU
- Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Motherboard
- 8GB RAM
- Radeon HD 8670D Video Card

Receiver
- Denon AVR-S900W

TV
- Samsung 65" 4k Curved (UN65JU6700FXZA)

I am using the latest Radeon drivers, Windows is patched up to date, but I cannot seem to get a 4k display. Windows reports 1920x1080 as the highest available resolution. AMD CCC shows a maximum supported resolution of 1920x1080 as well under digital flat panel properties.

I've tried connected the TV directly to the HTPC, bypassing the Denon altogether, in case that was the problem, but the only thing that changed is it now says "SAMSUNG" in CCC, instead of AVR-S900W.

The cables are generic high speed HDMI 2.0 cables I got from link on SlickDeals.net. Everyone has reported they were great cables.

I've been all through the TV and receiver menus, but can't find anything to *force* 4k over a particular input.

I'm all out of ideas... please help.

What about refresh rate? You can only do 4k with 30hz on that card so it doesn't really matter if you have 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) cables or not.

I can't recall if windows makes you change the refresh rate before seeing supported resolutions, but that may be it.

That is one weird issue, the card supports the resolution:
◾HDMI® (With 4K, 3D, x.v.Color™ and Deep Color)
◾Max resolution: 4096x2160 @ 30 Hz
◾1080p30 Stereoscopic 3D (Packed Frame Format)
◾Quad HD/4K/UHDTV video display support

The TV and receiver should recognize the 4k right away. Only thing I can think of is the cable itself isn't truly what it says it was marketed for.

What about refresh rate? You can only do 4k with 30hz on that card so it doesn't really matter if you have 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) cables or not.

I can't recall if windows makes you change the refresh rate before seeing supported resolutions, but that may be it.
I haven't tried setting the refresh rate down, but I would think it would at least be an option in the CCC television resolution settings (it's not). I'll mess with it some more in a few.

That is one weird issue, the card supports the resolution:
◾HDMI® (With 4K, 3D, x.v.Color™ and Deep Color)
◾Max resolution: 4096x2160 @ 30 Hz
◾1080p30 Stereoscopic 3D (Packed Frame Format)
◾Quad HD/4K/UHDTV video display support

The TV and receiver should recognize the 4k right away. Only thing I can think of is the cable itself isn't truly what it says it was marketed for.
Like sKiDmArK said, that card only does 30hz, so I don't even need a 2.0 cable.... which is required for 4k @ 60hz.

I'm gonna see what other cables I have laying around. I know I have some 1.3 cables... but I'm pretty sure 4k @ 30hz requires 1.4 or above.

He is correct, if you aren't doing anything above 1080p then I'd question the cable... Is it a redmere cable that is directional?

I've all but given up. I tried to set the frequency to 30hz. The screen came back up slightly cropped, and the mouse lag was unbearable. I set it back to 60hz and it was fine.

I'm either going to wait for an inexpensive HDMI 2.0 video card, or possibly get a video card with DP and figure out what kind of passive adapter I'd need to convert it to HDMI.

Last edited:
You can buy GTX 950's now, but they're not much cheaper than 960's. I'm sure we'll see them jump down in price over the next few months.

Did you try using a custom monitor inf (driver) that has 4K resolution as an option?

Did you try using a custom monitor inf (driver) that has 4K resolution as an option?
I didn't. I actually looked on the Samsung website, hoping (but not holding my breath) to find a monitor driver there. No luck. It just comes up as a generic monitor.

Where is a good place to find a custom driver... or is it a simple edit of the .ini file?

I haven't done it in a while - my experience stems from having EDID issues with my old card/TV/AVR. I think you can use Moninfo to dump the current EDID info (which will tell you if it's currently correctly showing that the TV is 4K capable) and modify the inf file as necessary.

edit: the fact that it comes up as a 'generic monitor' may be the root of your issues. I doubt Windows is setup to enable 4k resolution when it sees a 'generic PnP monitor' (or whatever Windows says in those situations nowadays).

This link to a similar problem on the Guru3D site may help as well.
Thanks for the link. I actually stumbled across that thread, but didn't realize there was a solution in it.

All told, I think I'll wait until I can grab a better video card, so I don't have to mess with patching drivers and such. It's a good excuse for a new video card anyway. The APU video card is pretty much useless for gaming, which we'd also like to do on this PC.

I think it's a limitation of the cpu / mb . Per your mb specs 2 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160
* The resolution of 4096x2160 can be supported when using an FM2+ APU; the maximum resolution supported is 1920x1200 when using an FM2 APU.

You have a fm2 apu.

I think it's a limitation of the cpu / mb . Per your mb specs 2 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160
* The resolution of 4096x2160 can be supported when using an FM2+ APU; the maximum resolution supported is 1920x1200 when using an FM2 APU.

You have a fm2 apu.
So... I've seen more than a few people mention using two HDMI ports for 4k. Is that even possible, since I'm going through a receiver?

So... I've seen more than a few people mention using two HDMI ports for 4k. Is that even possible, since I'm going through a receiver?

I dont think that is possible, different standards for hdmi support different resolutions, you should only need to use one of those two hdmi ports. problem is with your current cpu, the max resolution is 1080p, im not sure why the limitation as the manual for the motherboard doesnt explain it.

Weird. I read somewhere, with some confidence, that the APUs would support 4k.

This dumb and pointless but have you tried changing some settings on tv alone? For example zoom, super zoom, dot?

What HDMI port are you using on the TV? They're not all the same. Also you should be able to set the input on the TV to PC. I did this with my 4K TV. I think it's the same model as yours just not curved. I have the JU6500 in 65". I use HDMI 1 and on the TV I set the device type to PC. Granted I am using a GTX 980 in my HTPC.

I've all but given up. I tried to set the frequency to 30hz. The screen came back up slightly cropped, and the mouse lag was unbearable. I set it back to 60hz and it was fine.

I'm either going to wait for an inexpensive HDMI 2.0 video card, or possibly get a video card with DP and figure out what kind of passive adapter I'd need to convert it to HDMI.

Saw the following in an Amazon review and thought it may be applicable

"For this to work, you must connect to the HDMI1 port, and must edit the device type in the options menu for the HDMI1 port to 'PC'. It's not obvious, but to access the options menu, you must select 'down' on the directional keypad when the HDMI source is selected. For anyone interested, I'm using a 6ft length of the Mediabridge HDMI 2.0 cable I purchased at Amazon - http://amzn.com/B0019EHU8G

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back