Maingear's Epic T1000 TIM

Bosom

[H]ard|Gawd
I get my Epic T1000 today from Amazon. I have been using AS5 for a long time, but I decided to give these guys a shot mostly because I met them at the FXGamexperience.

I will post my before/after temps of my 2600k @4.6 on the H60 tonight.. I just wondered if there is anyone else using it yet?

*edit* didn't get to install it last night, too much stuff going on. Will try to do it tonight

Last edited:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1836/ - according to the last line of this article, MG T1000 = Indigo Xtreme.

IE = the best TIM on the market...

I wish it were more like $5 per application, and that it wasn't possible to botch an application (I would look for some Indigo Xtreme application tips), but it's the best available.

Still... I can get somewhat comparable performance from a regular TIM...so unless I had a Golden CPU/GPU, and I wanted to eek out every last bit of performance, I wouldn't bother.

SkinneeLabs has a lot of TIM test data. Their performance reference is Indigo Xtreme: http://skinneelabs.com/ - http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/

Looks like Phobya HEgrease and Prolimatech PK-1 are standouts. It's not as though AS5 sucks, however. It's still good (provided "great contact")

[H]OCP has done some TIM roundups confirming that AS5 is still good.

Last edited:
yea the epic t1000 is the same as indigo extreme, I've been using indigo extreme for m current build and its dropped my temps a full 5 degrees, big difference for me

when i spoke to the maingear guy at the fx event he told me that basically yes, and from what i saw, you get exactly the same items in the kit either from maingear or ie

I finally got around to installing this stuff... with a SFF case it's a pain in the butt to plug in your fans after it reflows. It's not much of a difference, honestly..

before/after I'm seeing a larger difference at idle than I am at load. At idle, my CPU is staying nice and cool at lower temps than before.. I was seeing all cores idle at 25-27C overnight. Now, last night, my idle temps were 22-25C. I didn't change my thermostat in my house, it's still set at 68F.... it could be slightly cooler in the house but probably not enough to make 2-3C difference.

At load (Prime95 for 30min, H60 fans on normal setting) I would see all cores level at about 64-65C with AS5
Now I am seeing one core at 64C, two cores that have leveled at 62C, and core1 is leveled at 57C.

All still at 4.5GHz on the 2600k, all cores at 100% usage... not sure why there is a larger spread in temps with the T1000 but it is very slightly better.

I wish I would have tested a little more thoroughly beforehand.. I will probably take this back apart, do some runs with MX2, then try AS5, then do my 2nd application of T1000 and see if I messed up on the reflow or something. It's going to be a couple of weeks though, no time to do it immediately.

Makes me wish I had a test bench.

I finally got around to installing this stuff... with a SFF case it's a pain in the butt to plug in your fans after it reflows. It's not much of a difference, honestly..

before/after I'm seeing a larger difference at idle than I am at load. At idle, my CPU is staying nice and cool at lower temps than before.. I was seeing all cores idle at 25-27C overnight. Now, last night, my idle temps were 22-25C. I didn't change my thermostat in my house, it's still set at 68F.... it could be slightly cooler in the house but probably not enough to make 2-3C difference.

At load (Prime95 for 30min, H60 fans on normal setting) I would see all cores level at about 64-65C with AS5
Now I am seeing one core at 64C, two cores that have leveled at 62C, and core1 is leveled at 57C.

All still at 4.5GHz on the 2600k, all cores at 100% usage... not sure why there is a larger spread in temps with the T1000 but it is very slightly better.

I wish I would have tested a little more thoroughly beforehand.. I will probably take this back apart, do some runs with MX2, then try AS5, then do my 2nd application of T1000 and see if I messed up on the reflow or something. It's going to be a couple of weeks though, no time to do it immediately.

Makes me wish I had a test bench.

Try a reflow before you do anything. Go through the process again, this time screw down the the two screws on the side that had the thicker part of the ETI - the part of the horse shoe shape that would have been the thickest. Do this WHILE the temperature is high and you have the pump unplugged. As you can see in the Legit Reviews article there should be a very big difference, and they were using superior MX-4, which is better than AS5.

Back