Mafia II poor FPS regardless of settings

Uncle Humjaba

Limp Gawd
Hey all

So I've been playing through Mafia II and I seem to be capped at 20fps. I know this game is pretty, but this seems a bit ridiculous. I lowered the resolution and that changes nothing. All settings are on high with AA and Physx Off, though changing those settings doesnt seem to make a difference. Even the menu runs at 22fps and the mouse is sluggish. Any ideas?

I ran the benchmark and averaged 18.7fps. I run the benchmark on the "Low" setting preset and I get even worse framerates (about 13fps). It makes no sense.

I have the latest nVidia and physx drivers, rig in sig.

Idk what to say, that's strange, definitely sounds drivers related so maybe wait until new ones come out or try rolling back to an older set.

Check NV Control panel for vsync/aa/af/etc. Make sure everything is in order for the Mafia 2 profile as well. I'm not sure what performance to expect in Mafia 2 from your rig as I've only just recently started playing it myself. I get awful performance without a dedicated physx card but otherwise I've had no problems yet.

Does this happen when running the game windowed (assuming the game can run in windowed mode)? If so, maybe take a look at the task manager when you have it running to make sure there aren't any other processes being weird.

I don't notice much of a hit with PhysX on medium with my 6850 oddly enough. It's enough to get pretty sparks without much of a FPS drop (at all if I'm right). I'm running with everything maxed out at 2048x1152. I don't know which AA is being used but I have it set on 8X with the "use application settings" and "morphological filtering" boxes unchecked in CCC.

I'll run some benches after work to see, but I've played with Vsync on so I'm either at 60 or 30 fps from what I've caught on the Afterburner overlay while playing. OP's rig doesn't look that much slower than mine.

Only things I can think of are drivers, background processes, or even lack of HD space for pagefile to expand? Grasping at straws really.

Turned out to be an issue with the mafia.exe file... On a whim i deleted it and did the steam->check file and now i get a solid 40fps on the benchmark. very weird.

Back