Macbook coming with 32gb ram soon?

I'm running a thinkpad at work with 64gb ram, my macbook only has 16gb, before anyone says it yes I need all that ram for my virtual machines. I've heard this rumor on mac forums for sometime, is thing going to happen anytime soon?

Only Apple knows for sure. Anyone else is working on hearsay and speculation. They sometimes do announcements during WWDC, so maybe then.

I hope they do something, even if it's just minor upgrades to Kaby Lake. Not that it matters much over Skylake, but it would signal that Apple is paying attention to Macs again and not just letting them needlessly linger without updates. Though iMacs and the Mini are way overdue.

Low power RAM has been the holdup. Still didn't get 32GB RAM with the bumps at WWDC unfortunately :(

I don't see why they couldn't. Capacity is up on DDR4 and its not like 16gb sticks are uncommon. Even if the new MPB only has 2 slots, thats 32gb.

I will say that it is somewhat surprising that there isn't a 32GB option yet. Obviously it will happen eventually. Eventually isn't today however.

I don't see why they couldn't. Capacity is up on DDR4 and its not like 16gb sticks are uncommon. Even if the new MPB only has 2 slots, thats 32gb.

It's not that chips don't exist, it's that the right chips (from Apple's perspective) don't yet exist. Higher capacity lower energy DRAM are available or in sufficient quantity for Apple - that's the real holdup here.

They still need a higher end MacBook Pro with a "screw the battery" option to have faster CPU's and higher capacity RAM for people who need a laptop but don't need to run off of battery all day. Not everyone wants or needs to priority battery every everything else.

Back