Macbook Air 11" vs Netbook for Light Mobile Canon DPPing

MadSkills

Limp Gawd
Wondering what I should know, should I make due with a Win 7 netbook or spend the dough on MBA 11" for light mobile photo Canon DPP editing...

Is there anything that Apple provides beyond interface that makes the money well spent?

Further I heard about a Dell that ppl can Hackintosh, how feasible is that for the above purposes?

Thanks!

We don't discuss hackintosh's or how feasible they are here.

Feel free to discuss your other points.

Well, the Air will be significantly faster for one thing. Atom isn't a terrible performer, but it's not a Core 2 Duo. The trackpad is quite large and has a very nice feel to it — something you won't see on any netbook, and the keys are full size. The quality of the display is also going to be of better quality than most (all?) netbook displays.

Whether you need any of these features I don't know. Not something I can answer.

Kaos et al. - sorry if I violated any policies. Thanks for help to anyone on the other questions.

Thanks Phide.

I bought my wife a new Macbook Air 11.6" and I can say that it is a lot faster than my HP 1151nr. Heck, it's even faster than my Lenovo T60. This is seriously one awesome machine, and I went round and round on whether or not I should get her this or a cheaper small laptop. This was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I have a Macbook Pro i7, and with the SSD that comes in the Air, your everyday things are just as fast as the Pro. Now, when doing video editing, the Macbook Pro is obviously faster, but also 1300 more than this. At 1000, they are fantastic laptops. YOu can even play games on it. CS:S is a blast on this thing.

Anyways, I hope my comments helped. Enjoy your weekend.

I am about to buy an 11" air for similar purpose. One of my reasons to consider this was the screen resolution which is better than most netbooks out there(I might be wrong). just putting it out there, maybe this could influence your purchase decision as well.

For large raw file editing and such they are a little underpowered IMO.

My T61 struggles at times, and it is faster than a MBA and has an SSD.

Most of the better 11" CULV's pack the same screen as the Air - there are C2D / i3 notebooks in the 3.5lb range and below from Acer, Fujitsu, Lenovo, etc with higher real-life battery life, considerably better connectivity, replaceable cells, accessible drive bays (for SSD exchange) - and most for sizeably less than the MBA.

It really depends on what you're after in terms of the balance of specs.

Last edited:
The MBA11 isn't super fast, but it will run circles around a piddly intel atom.

Doesn't the Air have a full size keyboard? Even small amount of photoshop I rely on keyboard shortcuts, I think that would be a huge selling point. The tiny keyboards are within 5% of a full size usually, but even with it being so close, you totally notice.

Back