Mac Flame War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelby

Gawd
Ok. I was on facebook and a friend in Canada has a broken computer. I told her before she went to Best Buy, she should get it diagnosed by someone who knows what they are doing, before tossing it and getting a brand new computer.

Well of course one of her "friends" tells her to just pay the premium and buy something that works. A Mac. Because it is "better."

I told him to not make blank statements, that there are pros and cons for each system. Well of course being a Mac user, he doesn't know when to STFU. He replied with this,

"As for my "better" comment: i'm not even referring to the applications -- macs are repeatedly at the top in customer service, user satisfaction, operating system stability, and overall performance -- i apologize if there is another definition of "better" of which i am unaware ;)"

I really want to stick it to this guy [H]ard right there on facebook.
Please help me out on links to counter his claims. We all know its bullshit.

And again he started this shit when I'm trying to help her fix her PC problem. He's trying to pour salt in an open wound.

"As for my "better" comment: i'm not even referring to the applications -- macs are repeatedly at the top in customer service, user satisfaction, operating system stability, and overall performance -- i apologize if there is another definition of "better" of which i am unaware ;)"

It is really hard to argue with the customer service aspect - if you have a local Apple store, Applecare is pretty much unbeatable. Given that your friend is somewhat non-technical and doesn't have anyone locally that can help them fix their computer this, alone, might be enough to drive the decision.

As for the rest of the points... Their hardware build quality is pretty top notch but, unless you're going with a bottom of the barrel PC, most vendors provide gear that's Good Enough. OS stability is hard to really quantify & OS X isn't -that- great, especially compared to Vista and 7. As for performance, OS X actually gets beat when compared to both Windows and Linux - the actually differences look significant when graphing benches but your friend probably will never see the difference.

The problem is that you're arguing with somebody who drank the Kool-aid. They can't be reasoned with.

Your friend is either going to be prudent and try to get her current PC looked at, or she'll say "f it" and buy a Mac. There's really no reason to get into a flame war with anyone over it.

It is really hard to argue with the customer service aspect - if you have a local Apple store, Applecare is pretty much unbeatable. Given that your friend is somewhat non-technical and doesn't have anyone locally that can help them fix their computer this, alone, might be enough to drive the decision.

As for the rest of the points... Their hardware build quality is pretty top notch but, unless you're going with a bottom of the barrel PC, most vendors provide gear that's Good Enough. OS stability is hard to really quantify & OS X isn't -that- great, especially compared to Vista and 7. As for performance, OS X actually gets beat when compared to both Windows and Linux - the actually differences look significant when graphing benches but your friend probably will never see the difference.

The problem is that you're arguing with somebody who drank the Kool-aid. They can't be reasoned with.

I've got to agree here.
1. You are not there to actually help her fix her old computer.
2. If she buys a Mac, you don't have to be her support, you can claim ignorance and make snide comments like "I thought it just worked?"
3. The problem is that you're arguing with somebody who drank the Kool-aid. They can't be reasoned with. (Added for emphasis.) And this goes both ways.
4. Threads about Facebook arguments are lame and I'm locking this down before it gets ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back